Chapter 6

"I heard you took on a case with Dr. Kim." Chairman Kang said to his daughter. Hana was having dinner at her parents' mansion instead of her regular loft that night.

"That's right." Hana replied, taking a bite of her food. "The surgery is tomorrow morning."

Hana's mother perked up. "Is that the new Head of Cardio?" She asked. Hana nodded her head.

"How is he?" Hana's father asked.

"He's surprisingly good with kids. Sooji loves him." Hana told her parents. "I won't know about his surgical skills until tomorrow, though."

"It's okay. I took a look at his valve replacement earlier today. The boy truly is a good as the people say." The Chairman told his family.

"I mean, he did graduate the top of his class at Harvard for a reason." Ms. Kang said with a smile.

"Right." Hana said, turning back to her food.

"How is Dr. Moon?" Ms. Kang asked, making Hana choke. She quickly gulped down the glass of water.

"Taeil is doing fine." Hana replied, narrowing her eyes. Her mother turned towards her husband.

"We should invite Dr. Moon over for dinner someday." The woman suggested. Chairman Kang nodded his head in agreement.

"We should." The Chairman said.

Hana gripped tightly to the fork in her hands. The last thing she wanted was to have dinner with her parents and Taeil.

...

"Jungwoo, how was Sooji this morning?" Doyoung asked the resident holding the clipboard with Sooji's charts.

"She's good, nothing abnormal according to the charts." Jungwoo responded. Doyoung nodded, adjusting his glasses as Jungwoo passed him the clipboard.

"Is Hana here yet?" Doyoung asked, leaning at the nurses station on the paediatric floor.

"Yes, Dr. Kang arrived a few hours ago." Jungwoo told him.

"A few hours?" Doyoung glanced up from the clipboard. "That's really early."

"She was paged in actually since one of her patients wasn't doing so well last night." Jungwoo explained.

"I see." Doyoung said putting the clipboard down. He looked at the clock. Sooji's operation was supposed to begin in a couple of hours.

"Sorry, I'm late." Hana called out as she ran down the halls, already in her scrubs. "One of my attendings wasn't watching their resident so I had to fix up their mistake."

"That's alright." Doyoung said, passing Hana the clipboard. "Let's go in."

The three of them entered Sooji's room where the girl was being prepped for surgery. Her parents were standing by her beside as the nurses moved in and out of the room.

"Hi Sooji, how are you feeling today?" Hana asked the girl as she walked in. Sooji glanced at the nurses before back at them.

"Scared." Sooji answered, clutching her bunny tightly in her small hands. Doyoung gave her a small smile.

"It's okay sweetheart. The brave doctors will be with you the entire time." Sooji's mother said, caressing her daughter's cheek. Sooji grabbed her mother's hand, clutching it for dear life. Doyoung turned towards the parents.

"Sooji's charts look fine so we'll be continuing with the surgery." Doyoung told them. He motioned to Jungwoo to give the parents more information on the procedure they were completing that day while he moved towards the girl lying in the bed, being comforted by Hana.