Chapter 7

"So according to the scans, the hole should be right... here." Doyoung said, showing Hana and Jungwoo. The three of them were inside the operating room, Sooji opened up on the table. "Do you see it?"

Hana nodded from beside him while Jungwoo was straining to see. Hana noticed this and moved over for Jungwoo. Once Jungwoo was close enough, he nodded his head, confirming that he could see as well.

"It's so small." Hana said, referring to Sooji's heart.

"She's young, only four years old. Don't forget that." Doyoung said. "Now, we're just going to patch this up." Doyoung said, picking up the patch from the tray before placing it over the hole in Sooji's heart.

"Hana, can you help me with this?" Doyoung asked.

"For sure." Hana said, helping Doyoung patch up Sooji's heart. Jungwoo peeked from the sidelines, helping the two surgeons as needed.

"There, that's it." Doyoung said once they were finished. Hana and him took their hands away, placing their tools back onto the tray.

"Let's get her off bypass." Hana instructed. They slowly waited, watching Sooji's small heart as tension filled the room.

Sooji's heart began pumping, the sign of a successful surgery. The workers in the room applauded for the three of them.

"Alright, Jungwoo, can you close up then?" Doyoung asked, surprising the resident.

"M-m-me?" Jungwoo asked. Doyoung nodded, passing him the tools for the stitches.

"Yes, you're a resident. You can handle a few stitches, right?" Doyoung asked him.

"Um." Jungwoo glanced at Hana who gave him a thumbs up. "Sure." Jungwoo took the tools in his hand and began stitching Sooji back up as the two older surgeons observed him.

"Hana, did you teach him this?" Doyoung asked, surprising both of them.

"Yes, I did. Is something wrong?" Hana asked. Doyoung shook his head.

"No, quite the opposite actually. Jungwoo is doing very well." Doyoung told them, smiling under his mask. Jungwoo soon finished and the surgery was completed.

"Let's let the nurses clean up and go talk to the family." Doyoung said. The three doctors left the operating room, heading out to where Sooji's parents were waiting. They stood up as soon as they saw them.

"How did it go?" Sooji's mother asked. Doyoung looked towards Hana, letting her give the news.

"It was a successful surgery. Sooji will be coming out and should wake up in a few hours." Hana told them. Sooji's mother burst into tears, giving her husband a big hug.

"Thank you so much, doctors." Sooji's father said, holding onto his wife.

"We're just doing our jobs." Doyoung said with a big smile. "Dr. Kim will be checking up on her to make sure she's doing well post operation. She'll need to stay here for a bit to make sure there are no complications post-surgery but she should be able to go home in a few days."

"Oh, you three are really the best." Sooji's mother said, shaking each of their hands. They bid farewell to the parents, returning to the nurses station on the surgery floor.

"Like I said earlier, make sure you check on Sooji to make sure her post-op is good." Doyoung said, writing a few notes before passing the clipboard to Hana.

"Me?" Hana asked with wide eyes.

"No, your resident. Jungwoo's under your care." Doyoung said with a chuckle. "Sooji is a paeds case, I was just helping you out with the surgery. If there's anything you need, you can page me and I'll come check it out but it's in your hands now."