Chapter 26

"What do you mean he doesn't exist?" Doyoung asked as Hana helped set the dinner table. Taeyong let out a long sigh.

"Like he's a human and he was definitely working at the hospital but when we tried to match up the ID the hospital records had with him, nothing came up. It's like he came out of thin air." Taeyong explained.

"What about his transfer, he was supposed to transfer to another hospital." Hana asked.

"Turns out he never showed up there. The hospital called the police and they're working on it but they're a little slow." Taeyong told them. "This is going to be a long case, I can already feel it."

"Can't you do some face recognition thing or something with his identification?" Doyoung suggested. Taeyong shot him a look.

"Doyoung, we're not in Seoul. Neo City doesn't have that technology." Taeyong responded.

"Well you should consider reaching out." Doyoung retorted but Taeyong rolled his eyes.

"It doesn't work like that. Unless you have a connection, there's nothing I can do." Taeyong said, his voice full of frustration.

"Let's not think about it now and just eat dinner first." Hana said to the two boys. They simply nodded their heads, both too tired to object.

...

"Jeno, you're back?" Hana said as she saw the boy enter. Jeno nodded his head.

"I came to see Renjun. Yesterday he told me he was getting sick of hospital food, so I brought him some proper food, this time during visiting hours." Jeno said, holding up a plastic bag with a few boxes inside.

"That's very kind of you." Hana told him. Jeno smiled back at her.

"Thanks Dr. Kang. Honestly, this wouldn't be happening without you." Jeno said.

I'm guessing Taeyong hasn't told him yet.

"Actually Jeno-" Hana stopped talking as Doyoung approached them, a clipboard in hand.

"Oh, hi Jeno." Doyoung said as he passed the clipboard to a nurse. "Back already?"

"Yup I'm just visiting Renjun. Speaking of him, he wants to meet you. Are you busy right now?" Jeno asked.

Doyoung checked his watch before shaking his head. "I have an hour or so."

Jeno smiled. "Great, let's go then. Dr. Kang, you can join us too." Hana glanced over at Doyoung who gave her a small smile.

"I suppose I can spare some time." Hana said, putting her hands in her pockets. The three of them made their way up to the psychiatric floor.

"You're here during visiting hours. That's a first." Sicheng said as he heard them enter. Jeno nodded his head.

"Dr. Dong, I got you tiramisu. Renjun said it was your favourite." Jeno said, passing him the small plastic box with a small cake inside. For the first time, Hana saw Sicheng's eyes lit up.

"So the brat actually pays attention when we talk." Sicheng said as he took the box. "Thanks."

"No problem." Jeno said with a small chuckle. The three of them began to walk to Renjun's room.

"Oh, Dr. Kang, you had something to say to me downstairs." Jeno said. Hana looked over to Doyoung, debating whether or not to tell him. Doyoung must have read her mind as he let out a deep sigh.

"Jeno, there's something you should know." Doyoung told him.

"What is it?" Jeno asked with eager eyes. Doyoung took a deep breath before explaining the situation with Dr. Lee.