Lost in Space - Part Two

The rest of the day flew by quickly as I helped Usagi.

She would let me hold the glasses as she poured the drinks and sometimes give them out, but I wasn't allowed to carry any of the food.

Her lap was really comfortable and I felt safer than I ever had in a long time.

Her boss didn't like me being there at first but got used to me when he saw that I wasn't causing any trouble, except the times when I'd nearly slip and Usagi would be to grab onto me and lift me back into place.

It was amazing how many people she knew by name and she had a lot of friends, some of them were big men who would ruffle my hair and say how lucky I was to get to be close to Usagi.

I didn't really get it, they could stand next to her and be close, but it was kind of funny.

Usagi would laugh too, giving them a cheerful response before moving on and ignoring the ones who would be rude about it.

Most of the beings there were so nice and I felt seen for once, no one was trying to get me to leave and they would smile and say nice things to me.

We would float between tables, greeting patrons and taking their orders, sometimes they would even tell Usagi to get me a little something and I'd get to have a treat as we moved on.

Some of the drinks were so good and they filled me up quickly, I hadn't felt that fulfilled in a long time.

They were really nice, but I still found myself burying into Usagi for comfort.

She would let out a little; "Aww, it's okay," as she rubbed my back, side or my head to comfort and shield me from others in the diner.

But now everyone was gone, the mean man from earlier had left and only some of the robot workers were left to finish off the cleaning.

"This is the last thing we have to do and then we can shut down and charge for the night," Usagi smiled at me as she brushed beneath the table that she had sat me on, her helmet placed next to me so that I could take care of it.

I gave her a smile and a nod, swinging my legs out of habit as I sipped the last drink she said I could have for the day.

I liked watching her work, she was so bubbly and happy that it made me happy too.

It didn't take long for the four robot servers to finish their work and Usagi put her helmet and the weird equipment away that she was using before returning to me and lifting me up by my armpits to rest me on her hip.

"Okay," she said, one of her hands rubbing my side as she carried me into the back room, the lights flickering off behind her as the door closed for the last time that night. "As you have nowhere to go, I guess you're stuck here with me."

"I don' mind," I smiled at her, "I like it."

"Aww, I like you being here too," she giggled, "and I think you may be here for a while."

I grinned wider and nodded, wrapping myself around her much like I had earlier on when we first met.

"So, I made you a little bed, but it's not much," she sighed.

She walked over to a table that rested beside the charging ports, where two of the other workers were already plugged in and ready to rest for the night. Setting me down on the floor, she got on her hands and knees to reach beneath it and pulled out a box that had a cushion inside and a coat over the top, probably one that someone had lost.

"I know it's not much," she said, turning towards me, her gloves squeaking against the tiles floor, "but it'll do, right? Better than sleeping outside."

I looked at the 'bed' and then to her as she pulled the coat back "It's good."

"Excellent," she smiled happily, turning around on her knees to lift me up. "It's the best we can do, this place doesn't have beds as it's just a diner."

She carefully set me down in my new bed and tucked me in, making sure that I was comfortable as I snuggled into the cushion-pillow.

"Well this was a great day," she said, reaching out to cup my face in her hands, the leather feeling cool against my skin which had become a comfort during the day when I played with her fingers as we moved about, "and we must rest for another one tomorrow."

Leaning in, she pressed a kiss to my cheek and then my forehead, which still made me blush and in turn, made her giggle.

I still wasn't used to being shown this kind of affection and Usagi as the only one I felt comfortable around.

"Still so cute," she cooed, "now get some sleep, it'll be a long day."

Running her hand over my head, she gave me a soft, almost motherly smile then stood up and walked to her space in the charging dock, pulling out a wire to clip into her port.

"Goodnight," she called out before stepping into place and going still.

"Night night," I replied, yawning widely as my eyes closed.

It had been a very long time since I had felt this secure and safe, Usagi giving me a guardian that I hadn't had since my parent's passed and I found myself abandoned by those who should have helped me.

Now I had Usagi and Usagi had me, like my own new big sister.

I smiled to myself as my eyes closed and the last thing I saw before falling into sleep was Usagi.