Better Than Lovers - Star-Lord/Peter Quill - Guardians of the Galaxy - Request

It seemed like so long ago that this all started, not a mere two months.

You had only wanted to dance.

It was one of the top five things that you missed from home back on Earth and you couldn't ignore the call to the rhythm.

Partner dancing had been your speciality, there was nothing quite like being spun and dipped and moving with someone else, your bodies perfectly in sync.

You had to know each other better than the most intimate of lovers.

You needed to be able to predict their next movement before even they knew what they were going to do.

Dancing was ingrained in your blood and you had been desperate to get back into it.

Little did you expect for Star-Lord himself to eagerly offer his time and moves.

Not that his solo moves were much for what you wanted.

The great, at least in his mind, Peter Quill's dancing could be questionable at best and laughable at worst and that was something you'd have to train out of him if he was serious about being our partner.

"Come on," he said exasperatedly, "I'm not that bad."

"For an old school disco maybe, in my dancing? It won't fly."

"Now you're just being harsh, no one can match my moves."

"No one wants to."

And that was how you got roped into teaching Star-Lord the moves you'd once danced with an old partner.

It had been a slow but easy start.

By some saving grace, he was a quick learner and his skill of picking up a rhythm gave you the advantage of being able to jump forward the usual steps that came with beginners dancing.

While a quick learner, he still had a habit of going off into his own dancing tangent as the music took him over and though you'd scold him for it, you couldn't help but smile with endearment each time he did.

"Come on," you'd laugh, giving his hip a light, back-handed pap. "Focus."

"Sorry," he'd smile, a winning smile that got more charming as time passed. "I got lost in the music."

Each time you'd roll your eyes and smile, guiding him back into your routine, which to his credit he did slide back into with ease.

It only took a month of weekly practices before you were both moving to the same beat without diversion, watching one another like animals watching prey, waiting for the next move and calculating your own.

You couldn't deny the growing flutter in your stomach, one that had first reared its head a mere two weeks after you'd begrudgingly accepted his offer to be your partner.

It was something that you could push aside and ignore, putting it down to the excitement of having a new partner and getting to dance again.

Being so close to another after so long was stirring up feelings long forgotten, it wasn't anything singular to Peter and his charming quips and flirtatious looks weren't unique to you, this you were fully aware of.

You refused to allow him to distract you from the task at hand and forced yourself to focus on teaching him some moves and working on new ones together, you had no intention of being another notch in his belt.

Even small comments like; "Looking good," or; "That was a sultry one, I like it," replayed in your head long after practice was over and you always grinned like an idiot in love before shaking yourself back to the real world.