Left Behind - Part Three

Your performance went down a hit with the attendants and you were happy to pat yourself on the back and call it a success, even if you were aware of a couple of notes that you felt were off-key.

As you made your way to your seat at the guest's table, everyone was full of congratulations and compliments and that was enough to make you stop worrying about the minor details.

At least, for the time being, you knew you would go back to fretting later.

For now, however, you were going to enjoy the festivities with everyone else.

Good food was eaten in abundance, the best drinks were always cool down your throat and the chatter was always animated and lively and then, once everyone had had their fill, the party started.

Music started up when Odin declared the feast over and the people around you jumped out of their seats and rushed into the next hall as servants and maids started cleaning up the discarded plates.

You trailed behind them in utter bemusement by how they could rush about after such a large quantity of food, you already felt uncomfortably bloated and didn't even want to imagine jumping around with how full you were.

However, the Asgardians merrily danced, sang, loudly yelled to one another over the music and partied for hours without a care.

Alcohol started to flow freely and the atmosphere was a chaotic fun that you'd never been soaked up in before.

It wasn't your usual bag, but you were really enjoying yourself.

A couple of times you found yourself pulled into a dance with a stranger or three, their giddiness infectious and their friendliness blowing you away as you grinned and laughed while trying to keep up with their pace.

There had been a few occasions where you'd caught a glimpse of Loki during the party, he had looked significantly happier at the dinner but now, with his arms around a cute Asgardian man as they talked and danced, he looked absolutely elated.

At one point, you both made eye contact and he had given you the softest smile you had seen in a while.

You smiled back, hoping that it conveyed just how happy you were for him.

A part of you was tempted to go over and formally introduce yourself to who you assumed was the baker who had your best friend's attention, but you ultimately decided to let them be and continued your celebration with your newfound friends.

You were a couple of dances in when a hand clasped on your shoulder and the others around you took a step back, eyes laser focused on the newcomer.

Without even looking, you knew who it was.

"Excuse me," Thor said, beaming widely at the others, "but I'm afraid I'm going to have to steal our guest for a couple of dances."

"Thor," one of the ladies gasped then dropped into a curtsey, the others following suit with one or a bow. "Absolutely, please."

"Thank you," he dipped his head politely and then held a hand to you, which you graciously took.

Clasping your hand tightly, most likely due to temporarily forgetting his own strength against a Midgardian's, Thor walked you into an open space and span you into facing him.

He placed a hand on your side and the other on your bicep as he smiled down at you, you had to crane your head to return his smile as you found a comfortable place to put your hands while making sure they were somewhere that wouldn't smudge his armour.

Once you were both secure in your positions, he started leading you into an energetic dance.

Some slower songs played between the faster paced ones and you both eagerly took the opportunity to get closer and revel in one another's company while wrapped in one another's arms.

Barely a word was shared between the spurts of laughter, but you did get six dances of different styles in before you had to force yourself away.

With a hand on your chest, you panted heavily and waved your other hand in front of yourself.

"Br-break, I need...a-a drink."

Thor laughed heartily and slipped his arm around your waist, leading you through the room towards a balcony.

As they passed a table, Thor grabbed two large mugs of mead before stepping out behind you.

"Wow," you gasped as you leaned against the stone balcony.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Thor asked as he set one of the mugs down on the flat surface.

You could only hum in agreement, your eyes trained on the expansive horizon of lights and forest before you.

"You did wonderfully tonight," he said after a moment of awed silence. "Loki was right, your voice should be heard by more people."

Your cheeks flushed and you let out an embarrassed laugh, deciding to take a swig from your mead to hide your sudden flush.

A shudder ran down your spine and you grimaced, sticking your tongue out as you made a choked hacking sound.

Thor laughed, setting a large hand on the small of your back.

"Not to your taste, I take it."

"No," you replied meekly, setting the mug back down.

"At least you can say that you've tried Asgardian mead, not a boast many Midgardians get."

You laughed and shrugged with a brief head nod of agreement.

"I can't argue with that."

Thor stepped up beside you, his arm brushing your shoulder as you went back to staring at the dancing lights within the trees of Asgard's forest.

"I'm going to miss this place," you said softly.

"You act as though you will never return."

You looked up at Thor, a smile as soft as your voice had been.

"That'd be okay?"

"Of course, you are the best friend of a Prince," he smiled down at you, eyes softening in a way you would never expect of such a warrior. "And I hope, should we build to it, something even more to another."

Silently, you shifted closer to press into his side as your eyes drifted back to Asgard's darkened sky.

"It's still early days," you said, a smile of your own coming to your face, "but I really hope we get there someday."

"I'm confident we will."

"Me too," you nodded, tilting your head to look up at him. "Me too."