The Lone Wolf and The Pup - Jack Kline - Request

There were many things you could easily say that you hadn't anticipated for the day when you got up that morning, following around the world's most clueless hunter hadn't been on that list.

It was meant to be a quick in and out case, nothing but a simple ritualistic ghost case.

Figure out the history of the ritual, find out the spirit's weakness, exploit it and go home.

Easy.

Until he showed up, looking like an oblivious child as he moved from link to link until he eventually crossed your path.

Actually, he'd more than crossed it, he'd intercepted a talk you planned on having with one of the victim's closest friends and had you on your toes from the minute he had exited their house while you stood at the bottom of their porch stairs.

You had managed to save face about turning up and simply acted as though he was a work partner that you had agreed to meet up with, your plan drastically changing from interviewing a potential witness to finding out this new face's game.

Leaving the grieving girl alone, you instead turned and chased after the newcomer.

He had made it halfway down the street by the time you had caught his shoulder to turn him towards you, eyebrows furrowed in irritation.

"Hey, what the hell do you think you're doing?" You asked, stepping back.

He stared at you and for a minute you weren't sure if he had registered what you said, but then he smiled and you found yourself taken aback by just how sweet and untainted it was, not at all like any of the veteran hunter smiles you had borne witness to as you were growing up.

"I am hunting," he answered bluntly, his smile widening a little more.

You blanched for a minute, your mouth agape before you collected yourself and gave a rigorous shake of your head.

"I know that, but I've had this one for a few days, you can shoo on to another one."

He frowned, cocking his head like an adorable golden retriever.

"But, I can help, we can work together and get it done even quicker if it's an easy case."

It was a little infuriating just how sweet he appeared to be, seemingly too sweet to simply be a hunter.

There was a distinct lack of deep hardness in his eyes that was near custom for a veteran hunter and you didn't pick up on any maliciousness of a demon trying to play the system and get into your good books.

Yet, your hackles were still raised and you couldn't lower your suspicion that something was off about the guy.

"I need to make some calls," you said, slipping your phone from your pocket while turning away from him.

"Okay," he said a little too cheerily. "I can update Sam or Dean as you do."

"Wait...Sam and Dean?" You paused, lowering your phone as you half-turned towards him. "As in...like...Winchester Sam and Dean?"

He smiled innocently and nodded.

"Yeah, do you know them?"

Never had you felt your posture deflate so drastically.

"Oh...fuck."

You'd heard stories of the Winchesters.

Imposing, vulgar and short tempered men, especially Dean, that were more than experts in their field and preferred to keep most but themselves in their business.

The mental image alone made you shudder and you had made a purposeful choice to avoid them at any cost, but it seemed as though the inevitable had finally reared its head on you and boy, was it an ugly head.

"No," you suddenly protested, a little louder than you had intended.

Not that it seemed to matter, he barely reacted and instead stared at you as he waited for you to continue.

"Don't call them, let's just...go and sit down in some diner and we'll talk about this, just us two."

"Okay."

"And I want a name."

"Oh," he smiled widely, his eyes taking on a new light. "I'm Jack."

"Jack? Got it, come on."

You turned to head back down the street to your car, giving him a glance over your shoulder to make sure that he was following, which he loyally was while gazing around the street as though he was taking in everything in the world for the first time.

After unlocking the door and wrenching it open, you leaned against the top of the car and waited for him to catch up.

You weren't one to usually team up, preferring to keep the emotional repercussions at a zero percent chance by hunting alone, never giving yourself the chance to form a bond that could come back and bite you in the ass.

Now you had stumbled into becoming one half of an odd couple with someone who looked as bemused as Ariel at the dinner table.

Shaking your head, you slipped into your seat and grasped onto the steering wheel, drumming your fingers as you took a couple of deep breaths.

"This is going to take some getting used to."

Hell's Book of Random One-shotsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara