Camp Cupid - Part Three

Spencer was cautious as he approached The Pit, the designated 'Spooky Story' clearing, just a few minutes' walk from the lodgings.

He'd never enjoyed the scary story sessions during the camp period and didn't understand how anyone could.

Why would you want to sit there, cold despite a raging fire and surrounded by thick trees and darkness that you couldn't see into as someone put the fear of your very life in the back of your head with ludicrous stories that you logically know are stupid but can't help but shudder over.

It just didn't sound like a good time to him and something in the back of his head was screaming that he was being set up for a prank, which he wasn't in the mood for after the long day everyone had just had.

Yet, that didn't stop him from making his way to The Pit after making sure that Pearl was in safe hands with Elliott, one of the counsellors for the younger children.

He had to go, what if it was some kind of urgent matter that needed to be confidential?

Granted, they could have come to his cabin but maybe they weren't comfortable with that so he forfeited his time.

He was on edge for the whole walk, despite still having the fading sunlight to guide him.

Every minor scuff of his own feet and snap of a twig from whatever wilderness could be out there had Spencer jumping and looking over his shoulder.

The further he went, the more nervous he got and a couple of times he thought about heading back, but curiosity pushed him forward to The Pit, which felt like a marathon away.

The relief he felt upon pushing through the treeline made him feel both foolish and at instant ease.

This soon shifted into mild bewilderment at the sight of a picnic blanket laid out with leftovers that no one would miss but still looked fresh with Dylan sitting on one of the long logs they used as a seat for story time, his back towards the rest of the mismatching seats and the centre they would use for the fire.

Dylan looked up at the noise of Spencer's shuffling footsteps as his boots connected with the twigs and grass, an unusual smile coming to his face. One that looked laid back and yet almost uncharacteristically uncertain.

Spencer noted the apple in Dylan's hand, one he must have just taken a bite out of as he was merrily chewing as he smiled with close lips.

There was a pause of silence as Spencer took in the scene, which included battery powered lanterns sat on two corners of the blanket and Dylan's hair that still didn't look combed, but at least looked like he'd ran his fingers through it in an attempt to make it look tidier.

"Hope you don't mind that I started already," Dylan said, holding up his apple to accentuate the point.

Spencer rose an eyebrow, pulling his glasses off to clean them with a cloth that he pulled from his pocket.

"Of course not, why would I?"

"Well," Dylan shrugged, standing up, "you went to all this effort to set up a surprise picnic and I start eating without you, though...gotta admit, I wasn't expecting this from your note."

"I'm sorry, what? I didn't set this up, I came here because of your note."

Dylan's brows furrowed and he shook his head while reaching into the pocket of his jeans, pulling out a sheet of paper and unfolding it carelessly with one hand.

"No, you asked me here."

Spencer slipped the carefully folded note from his pocket and opened it to show Dylan.