A Shocking State of Affairs - Seto Kaiba - Soulmate AU

It wasn't a bad job, not at all.

Sure, the hours could be long and there were more often days that would run over her hours and she'd have to stay late, but boy, was the wage absolutely worth it.

In essence, the job was really easy.

Your days mostly consisted of taking phone calls, organising meetings or interviews, sometimes having to include a booked dining table in his favourite restaurant and answering to his beck and call as and when he needed you.

All in all, it was a fantastic job with great benefits.

It's just a shame that your boss was a colossally arrogant and handsome asshole with too much money and a dragon fetish.

"He sounds like your ideal type," your best friend had laughed, munching on the noodles she was desperately craving.

"I know," you whined with a pout, "but it would be better if he was my type and not my boss."

"Then don't apply for a job at Kaibacorp."

"Now she tells me."

"I told you before!" She laughed. "I mentioned that the museum has open positions."

"But this was the job of a lifetime and you're not one to talk about not listening."

You gave your friend a knowing look, smirking smugly as she looked away trying to look innocent as if she hadn't grown a crush on one of the co-workers at said museum.

It was true, though.

Seto Kaiba was exactly your type in a strangely warped way.

He was tall with too much ego and too little regard for other humans.

Basically, he was a handsome asshole and you simply ate that up like it was ramen.

To the point where your legs would get a little funny when part of your job meant going into his office for some personal one on one time, typically only to pass over some paperwork and to relay an important memo.

Typically, he wouldn't even glance up at you, instead he would focus on furiously typing whatever needed to be said while glaring at the screen as if it had personally offended him.

Which it probably had, at some point.

You adjusted to the way he worked pretty quickly and took his attitude in your stride while admiring him from afar, hoping that this would somehow save from future heartache.

Things continued on and before you knew it, five months had passed and things had settled into a comfortable routine between you both.

In fact, Kaiba almost seemed to have become something almost cordial with you as of late.

It was pleasant and made you feel a little giddy.

Which cued that ramblings when you were around certain company, company who had listened to your ramblings often enough to know how to tune you out while still seeming attentive, letting you go on about the smallest of interactions.

Nothing was new by this point and life went on as normal until the last hour on a certain Friday.

You were sending off you last emails of the day and making the last calls, setting up the final meeting for next week and printing off needed documents before you could clock out and have a relaxing weekend.

The printer stirred noisily as it spat out the last bit of paperwork you needed to hand over before you were officially free.

Snatching it up from the machine, you pushed your chair back and stood up, adjusting your skirt and top before heading to that ridiculously large, looming office door.

Knocking on the door, you waited for a few second before stepping inside and letting it fall closed behind your, as was customary when entering his personal office.

Kaiba briefly glanced up, though his eyes didn't linger for long before he turned his attention back to the screen in front of him, as always.

"Clocking out, I presume," he said as stoically as ever, his voice giving away no hint to anything.

"Almost," you smiled, "I just need to give you one last thing to sign so that I can file it and then I'm done for the day."

"Okay," he said, holding out one of his hands, "hand it over then."

You stepped forward to lean forward and pass over the paper.

As his fingers grasped onto the offered sheet, your fingers just barely touched his and you felt a strange jolt pass from your fingertips, up your arm and into your chest.

Something larger, more impactful and warmer than a natural static shock.

Quickly letting go of the paper, you stood up straight, your eyes slightly widened as you looked towards Kaiba to check for any sign of a reaction from him to suggest that he had felt the same sensation.

Kaiba sat still in his chair, staring at you with as stoic an expression as ever before quickly diverting his eyes back to his screen and attempting to subtly clear his throat as he set the sheet down atop his wooden desk.

"If that's all, then you may leave," he said, his fingers hovering over the keys of his computer as if he were waiting for privacy before continuing on.

"Of course," you nodded, stepping back slowly, "I'll see you Monday."

"Bright and early, we have an important meeting."

"I'm aware, have a good weekend, Kaiba."

If he replied, you didn't hear anything.

You were too busy rushing out of the door to hastily grab your things and get the hell out of there, giddy, excited and needing to tell someone what had just happened.

Meanwhile, Seto stared towards the door in utter bewilderment, for once completely speechless about what had just occurred.

For now, he would push it aside and focus on his work, but if it happened again...well, he'd have to take some kind of action.