Dumb - Unspecified MxM Ship

His phone buzzed again and his heart dropped, he didn't need to look at the screen to know who was trying to text him.

With a sigh, he raised his hands and pressed the palms into his eyes, hoping that closing them tightly and overstimulating them would make the images in his head disappear.

It was stupid.

They were stupid.

How was he meant to-

"Hey."

He lowered his hands and lifted his head, looking towards the door as bright, colourful squiggles danced across his vision, not that they did much to mask the curious face of his younger neighbour, who he had been asked to take care of for the night.

"You good?"

"Fine," he sighed, dropping his head back onto the couch cushion.

"You sure? Because your phone has been blowing up, it's hard to concentrate on my game when all I can hear is that going on every five seconds."

"It's not every five seconds," he rolled his eyes before staring towards the ceiling, "and I said I'm fine."

"Yeah and I told my whole class that I had a rare Charizard card, but we both know that isn't true."

"Will you drop it? I'm fine. Jeez, who are you? My mother?"

"I was just asking."

"Yeah well...don't."

His phone chimed again, breaking the moment and pulling his attention back to the situation at hand.

One he wanted to avoid like the plague.

If he ignored it, then maybe he could pretend that it had never happened and that everything was normal.

Luckily, looking after the local misfits seemed to be the perfect distraction, especially when they wouldn't leave him alone to this thoughts for five minutes.

"Fine, whatever, but when you're done moping can we order pizza or something? I'm starving."

"Yeah sure, we ca-"

He was halfway through rolling into a sitting position on the couch when he paused, a sudden realisation hitting him that there was only one nearby pizza place.

And that was where 'He' worked twice a week to boost his income.

His best friend.

The same best friend who just the other night he had...

"No," he said with a shake of his head as he finally sat up, "we're not ordering pizza, let's see what's in the freezer."

"Nothing, nothing is in the freezer."

"Stop being dramatic, there must be something."

Sure enough, a trip to the garage to find the freezer and a longer look than was needed proved that there was, indeed, very little inside.

At least nothing that would make a substantial meal unless you wanted fries and vegetables.

"Wow, you weren't kidding."

"Told you, so can we order pizza now?"

"Why pizza? There's a few other places we can order from."

"Because I want pizza, why are you avoiding pizza?"

"I'm not."

"You obviously are, you aren't smart enough to be subtle."

He shot the smart-ass a look before rolling his eyes.

"I can totally be subtle."

"Right, so you haven't fallen out with the friendly, neighbourhood delivery boy?"

His stomach dropped as his heart flew into his throat, all the blood in his body running cold like he had just been thrown into a bath filled with ice.

The pause was noticeable, he knew it was as he took his time to swallow the uncomfortable lump his heart had created.

"Of course we haven't fallen out, why would you think that?"

"Weeelll, everyone knows about...you know..."The Breakup" and now you're ignoring calls from your friend, I kinda guessed maybe they had..."

"What? No, nothing like that...and you need to stop getting invested in other people's love lives, it's weird."

"There's nothing else to do around here," he shrugged.

"Still weird," he said, scrunching up his face at the thought. "I'm not talking about this with you, just order your food."

"Fine, you want some?"

"Nah, I'm good."

"Okay, but you better not think of stealing any of mine," the response was accompanied with an accusatory look before he turned and headed back into the house.

"I've seen your Frankenstein food combos, I'll pass," he called after him, a quirk of a smile pulling at the corner of his mouth as the kid disappeared.

The half smile vanished as quickly as it had appeared, the feeling of dread settling in his stomach again at the impending doom of an inevitable meeting that he'd been effectively railroaded into.

Though it was just short of a week after everything went down, maybe it was time for him to stop fretting and arrange a conversation about what happened, for him to confront his mistake.

If he truly believed that it was a mistake.

Did he?

He couldn't say that he regretted what had happened, nor could he say that he didn't enjoy it and the accompanying butterflies that erupted every time he gave himself a minute to think about that night without an eye of anxiety and panic.

Though he couldn't say anything with full confidence.

All of his thoughts were a jumble of events that happened in such quick succession that he could almost convince himself that it hadn't happened, that it had all been in his imagination and he was overreacting to nothing.

But he wouldn't strip them both of that, not until they'd sat down and talked things through.

And he had about twenty minutes after the order was put through to gather his thoughts and to run through how he believed things went that night.

To think it all started with a broken heart.