Father Christmas - Father Paul Hill - Midnight Mass

My feet crunched on the light sprinkling of snow that had landed on the deck as I stepped up to the door of the rectory, my coat drawn tightly around me to battle against the bitter winds that had picked up from the shore since that morning and my hood up to protect from the continuous light fall of snow that miraculously hadn't yet turned into rain.

The gloves cushioned my knuckles as they wrapped on the wooden door, partially muffling the sound in the process despite the surrounding snow making everything sound louder, much like the differentiation between scuffing something during the day and scuffing it during the night.

As I took a step away from the door, the bag resting in the crook of my arm swung in its place, making the corners of the tupperware inside hit the back of my leg.

Shuffling came from inside and I took a deep breath, trying to ignore the fluttering in my stomach as my breath wisped through the air in a cloud.

It was stupid to be nervous, he was one of the nicest people on the island and we had spent many evenings since his arrival sitting around and talking about anything and everything.

We had built up a friendly rapport, one where sometimes we didn't even need to talk and found comfort in silence by merely being in another's presence during a time of stress or hardship.

And yet, here I was, second guessing every decision of my life up until this point.

My heart nearly stopped when the door finally opened and Father Paul Hill opened the door, peering outside with curiosity.

As our eyes met, he smiled with a warmth that would make anyone feel special, his eyes briefly dropping to the present clasped in my hands.

"What is this?" He asked jovially.

"Merry Christmas, Father," I smiled, holding the present up.

His expression softened, smile of politeness shifting into one more genuine.

"You really didn't need to," he said softly, trailing off towards the end as he reached to take the present.

I shrugged and slipped my hands into the pocket of my coat when they were free.

"I know, but I figured why not? You know. Two souls who would spend Christmas alone otherwise, so I may as well spread a little cheer by delivering a present."

"I really do appreciate the thought."

I smiled, suddenly feeling awkward and out of place, unsure of what to do with the gratitude.

It seemed as though he wasn't sure what to do either and we both ended up lingering on his doorstep in silence.

Eventually, I let out a laugh that matched my awkwardness and took a small step backwards, my toes feeling for the edge of the step that I knew was somewhere behind him.

"Anyway, I should let yo-"

"Would you like to come in?"

The rest of my sentence died on my tongue as surprise took over my thinking process, my mouth hanging open like an undignified fish.

"Oh," I said softly, barely audible even to myself. "Um...yeah, sure...thank you."

He stepped back into his home and I followed behind him, closing the door before he could reach behind me to do so himself.

"Would you like some tea?" He asked, crossing the small space in a few strides.

"If you wouldn't mind, it's quite cold out there."

"I hope it's not too cold in here."

"Not at all," I smiled, looking around the compact place as I set the bag I was carrying beside his couch and sit down. "It's quite cosy, honestly."