twelve.

gwynne ended up having to shove her face into a pillow to contain her laughter as sibyl flails around on her bed, punching the other pillows. the sight of her doing that made the older girl laugh harder. "i'm gonna piss my pants!" she wheezes, gripping onto the pillow.

"it's not funny! you just outed me!" sibyl whines, still punching gwynne's pillows.

"you tried to say that i was the one with a crush! i have a crush on the girl from paul's! he know's this!" she laughs harder, "you just made it more obvious!"

"i panicked! i wasn't just going to tell him at eight in the goddamned morning!"

gwynne stands up, and the sight of it let sibyl know that she was about to mock her. "oh, paul! i'm so in love with you!" she exclaims, her hand on her chest dramatically. "let's get married and move to a cottage in the woods and have thirteen kids!" she begins to wheeze again as the younger girls cheeks burn red.

"i do not sound like that! and i definitely don't want thirteen kids!" she shouts, punching gwynne in the shoulder. "i'm going to go put myself in a coma and hopefully never wake up. feel free to pull the plug whenever."

gwynne laughs, "i'm going to pick up paul's for lunch so i'll wake you up when i get home. your brother wants another steak and cheese." she crawls into bed, grabbing her phone from the nightstand to probably scroll through tiktoks.

"fine." sibyl says, exiting the room and going to her own. even after changing into more comfortable pajamas, she has trouble falling asleep. the only thing on her mind was whether or not paul knew about her feelings, and if he did, how he is reacting to them.

she sighs, pulling her blanket over her shoulders and rolling onto her side. she closes her eyes, enjoying the warmth of her blanket, and falls asleep almost immediately after.

little did the sleeping girl know, paul heard the whole conversation after he went back to the guest bedroom. he lays in that bed in the room across from her, mind racing and heart pounding, and a shit eating grin on his face.

maybe he wouldn't get his heart broken after all.

later that day, sibyl was awoken by daniel barging into her bedroom and jumping on her bed. "wake up, sleeping ugly! lunch is here and i know your ass is hungry." she only mumbles in response, pulling her blanket over her head. "come on! gwynne won't let me eat if you're not down there and i'm hungry!"

she sighs, pulling the blanket off of herself and rolling out of her warm bed. she takes that chance to stretch and fix her hair in the mirror before walking downstairs with her little brother. gwynne and paul were at the kitchen table, seemingly making small talk, when the two entered the kitchen.

danny practically jumped into his chair and immediately started eating, and sibyl sat down beside paul shortly after. "how was your coma, sleeping beauty?" the older girl jokes, receiving a middle finger in response. despite looking annoyed, there was a smile on sibyl's face and a pounding in her chest at the thought of being so close to paul.

the four eat in silence, and it was relatively calm in the house for once. that is, until paul accidentally brushed his hand against her leg while going to wipe crumbs off of his sweatpants. he seemingly didn't notice, he was infatuated with listening to the younger boy go on a rant about a show that he was watching.

her face flushed red immediately, and she stared at the paper that once wrapped her sandwich intently, even though her food was long gone by then. she picked at her practically non-existent nails absentmindedly as she listened to her heart pound in her ears.

she felt like she was in high school all over again, experiencing her first love and getting flustered at the smallest things that he did. granted, she didn't quite love paul, but the feeling was incredibly similar to what she thought love was when she was sixteen.

she snaps herself out of her thoughts to throw her trash away and grab a drink from the fridge. she runs her fingers through her hair and sits back down, but this time she was listening to her brothers rant, too.

"three-thousand years! having to watch the woman you love die just to be resurrected over and over again, when you can't die yourself! that must fucking suck!" danny shouts, waving his hands around as he talked. "and don't even get me started on the stupid ten commandments! granted, like four of them had a redemption arc, but then they just fucking died!"

"like monspeet! he didn't even get to tell derieri he loved her because of his commandment and then he got murked!" he says.

paul nods, clearly fascinated.

the rest of lunch went on the same way, with paul asking questions and daniel probably giving him too much information for his simple questions, but paul was clearly enjoying himself. a fond smile never left his face as he kept his head propped up with his hand, and sibyl didn't hear a word that her brother was saying as she was too caught up in watching paul.

by one-thirty, daniel went to his room and gwynne was getting ready for work, leaving the two alone in the kitchen. "did you sleep well?" paul asks, finally breaking the silence.

"i did. did you?" she asks, turning to face him.

he nods, running his long fingers through his brown hair. "i slept for a long time but i guess i needed it." he says. "wanna watch a movie?"

"you bet your sweet ass i do." she laughs, standing up from her seat and practically sprinting to the living room. he smiles, following her and they both take a seat on the long couch as sibyl turns on the tv. "you're picking this time."