twenty-nine.

the day of sibyl's graduation came faster than anyone could've expected. she was sat at her desk applying her makeup as techno was sprawled out on her bed. her hands were shaking more than she would like to admit, making applying her eyeliner even harder than usual.

she had a half hour before she had to be at her campus, and she was planning on leaving as soon as she finished her makeup, which she finished rather quickly.

she sighs as she rises from her spot in her chair, running her fingers through her hair as she walks to her dresser to grab a pair of sunglasses, as the sun was oddly bright that day. she could feel techno's eyes on her as she grabbed a pair of plain black sunglasses, as she knew they wouldn't stay on long. she places them on her head as she turns to the older man, who shot her a gentle smile.

"you nervous?" he asks, receiving a nod in return. he stands up from her bed, wrapping his arms around the shorter girl who immediately returns the gesture. "it'll be fine."

"i know." she says, her voice muffled in his chest. "i just don't know what i'm going to do tomorrow. or the rest of my life, actually."

"you have the rest of your life to figure that out."

his words echoed in her head endlessly on her drive to her campus, and still echoed while she was taking her seat after putting on her cap and gown. the two pieces of white material had sat in her trunk after she received them; she knew that they would constantly remind her of the anxiety that is brought forth by the idea of graduating.

she spent four years in college, and thirteen in school, and she had yet to decide what she was going to do with the life she was given. and even as she sits idle as people fill the auditorium of her college, she still hasn't made up her mind.

but she lets techno's words from earlier remove the weight off of her chest, she has the rest of her life to decide that, after all.

the ceremony went by within the blink of an eye, and before she knew it, she was swallowing the lump in her throat as she was looking for her friends and brother. gwynne found her before she even got the chance to spot them, scooping the younger girl in her arms and staining her cap and gown with mascara and tears.

she found herself releasing the tears she had been holding back since receiving her diploma, a wave of pure emotion escaping her before she could even fight it. she feels another pair of arms wrapping around her, and the familiar scent of her brothers cologne filled her nose.

she had bought that cologne for him for his fifteenth birthday, making a joke about him finally being a man that definitely pissed him off for a couple days.

"i'm so proud of you, siboob." gwynne says, the sound of her voice making it even more evident that she had been crying.

the two let go of the girl as she wipes her face, knowing that the makeup she worked so hard on was definitely ruined. wilbur smiles at her from over gwynne's shoulder, as does techno.

"congratulations, sibyl." wilbur says, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

"thanks, will." she says, leaning into the taller mans side. "thank you for coming."

"there's no place i'd rather be." he jokes, making her laugh.

"okay, fuck you." she jokes, wiggling out of his grasp.

throughout the whole encounter, techno stood idly with his hands in his pockets, his eyes never leaving sibyl. she turns to face him as he removes his hands from his pockets, opening his arms. she happily accepts his gesture, wrapping her arms around his waist as he wraps his around her shoulders.

"congratulations." he whispers into her hair, "i'm proud of you."

his words bring more tears to her eyes, but she ignores them. "this could be you but you dropped out." she jokes, the scent of his cologne bringing a strange sense of security to her. "but seriously, thank you."

she eventually pulls herself away from him, bidding her farewells to the other three, knowing techno would ride home with her. daniel's eyes were puffy, and his nose was a bright red, showing that he had been crying. she lifts a hand to rub his shoulder as she watches his bottom lip quiver again. "stop crying, you big baby." she says, a smile forming on her face as he flips her off in response. "i'll see you all back home."

the walk to her car was filled with a comfortable silence, her hand gripped tightly in techno's.

"wanna get ice cream before we go back to the apartment?" she asks after she removed her cap and gown, leaving her in the white dress she had on underneath.

"of course." he says, climbing into the passenger's seat as she got in the driver's. their hands never separated unless they absolutely needed to be, even as she drove to one of her favorite ice cream parlors.

once they got their ice cream, they sat at one of the picnic tables outside and ate in a comfortable silence.

"hey, sibyl?" techno asks, making her look up from her ice cream to face him.

"what's up?" she asks, growing worried at the sight of the nervous look on his face. "what, are you gonna ask me on a date?" she jokes softly, making a smile form on his face.

"is this not a date?" he asks, his words sounding genuine, yet sarcastic at the same time, making her face grow red.

"i never said that." she says.

"well since this is a date, will you be my girlfriend?"