Arc 1 Chapter 12: The Underworld Boss

Diyu's eyes showed no mercy, they were sharp and cruel. It was as though they were accusing Chen Yanyan of some sort of traitorous act.

Chen Yanyan looked at the distrustful man with cautious eyes he hadn't intended to be caught, especially caught doing something so dumb and embarrassing!

Moreover what was he to say, the truth? That he was looking for food in his bedroom?!

No Chen Yanyan wouldn't say that but he couldn't just leave either he had to make use of this opportunity, he just made it into the positives so he couldn't afford to make the other man hate him all over again! 

He couldn't afford to die.

Chen Yanyan clenched his fists before looking up with pained eyes that seemed to hide some sort of unknown feeling of want. "I'm sorry I startled you, I didn't mean to disturb you I just-"

Diyu's face was chilling after having just woken up. 

He rarely slept good but surprisingly he had unknowingly fallen into a deep sleep at some point.

Now that he was forcefully woken by a very troublesome man, one which he had trouble reading, in such a situation he simply had two words.

Diyu: "Get out."

Chen Yanyan paused, his voice lightly quivered. "I'm sorry, I-I just couldn't sleep. I had a horrible nightmare, I thought-" Chen Yanyan paused, he grew dewy eyed and whispered. "I thought you truly died."

Diyu suddenly grew silent.

"It seems the wounds during the day caused me to suffer a slight fever when I slept. I had a horrible nightmare and couldn't differentiate reality from imagination. After I woke I was scared, I knew I simply had to find you and confirm that you weren't- I simply wanted to make sure you were alive."

After all, only a few hours prior Chen Yanyan had witnessed the "attempted murder" on Diyu his beloved boss, so of course as a loyal subordinate he would still be worried.

Or so Chen Yanyan wanted to convey.

As Diyu looked at the other man he was his vision was still slightly hazy from having just woken up, but as he looked at Chen Yanyan in the moonlight he seemed especially troubled, his face vulnerable as his eyes reflected the soft light of the moon to convey a sense of pain, Diyu was caught off guard. 

Although the man was a subordinate to a cruel mafia organization there was a sense of pure innocence reflected in his eyes, as if he truly desired to protect and serve the organization, no it was more like such dedication and admiration was directed towards him...

Chen Yanyan's hand that had been harshly held in Diyu's tight grasp lightly trembled just enough for Diyu to notice. 

For a moment Diyu thought that perhaps the man was now afraid of him as he should, but as he looked deep into Chen Yanyan eyes all he could see was a sense of determination.

Chen Yanyan bowed his head. "I'm sorry I simply wanted to be close to you to confirm the nightmare wasn't real."

Diyu: "...."

Diyu grew stiff as he thought about those words. "Be close to me...?" 

How laughable.

No one had ever stayed with him his entire life and no one ever dared, not even his own parents. 

The very notion of wanting to be close to him was ridiculous and Diyu knew it. 

Although he had subordinates close to him daily no one actively sought to stay by his side.