Power Outage (Elijah Mikaelson)

Summary: A storm's coming through New Orleans, and it's almost certainly going to knock out the power. The Mikaelson compound is completely prepared, and with all the siblings being busy, Y/N and their boyfriend Elijah are going to have the house to themselves. Elijah has plans for how he wants the night to look, but Y/N is determined to set them on a very different path.

****************

"Did you see we're supposed to get a storm tonight?" I asked, my eyes scanning the newspaper as I sipped my coffee. My boyfriend, Elijah, was bustling around the kitchen making eggs, and he didn't turn around as he responded.

"I did. Apparently, we may lose power. I already asked Niklaus to bring home some extra candles before he leaves for Mystic Falls."

I scoffed. "You asked Nik to do it? Hold on, I'll text Rebekah."

Elijah smiled as he set a plate of eggs down in front of me. He walked around the counter and took the seat next to mine, digging into his own breakfast.

"Probably a good choice to ask Rebekah as well," he said. "I'm sure between the two of them, they'll at least bring something home."

Fortunately, Elijah was right. Both of his siblings managed to follow through on the ask, which meant we got double the candles. I hoarded candles like a dragon, so I took them all up to the room I shared with Elijah while Nik and Bex just looked on in amusement.

A few hours later, Elijah and I had the house to ourselves. Rebekah and Marcel were off for a weekend getaway, Nik was visiting Mystic Falls, and Hayley was out in the Bayou with the wolves. Everyone who had a reason to be at the Mikaelson compound was somewhere else, except me and Elijah.

And Elijah was holed up in the study doing work.

"Elijah?" I asked, leaning against the doorway to the study. The storm had just started up a little over half an hour ago, and I knew we'd probably get that promised power outage soon. "What are you doing?"

"Working on a new treaty to propose to the factions," he said, not looking up from his papers. "With Niklaus gone, this might be the only chance I get to work on this without his interference."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

"E, you do realize we have the house to ourselves for the first time since... hell, probably since I moved in, right?" I asked, crossing the room to stand next to him. He finally looked up, slowly moving his eyes from his work to me.

"And what would you suggest we do instead?"

I raised my eyebrows, and right on cue the lights clicked off. Elijah didn't even hesitate before lighting three candles on his desk, positioned to give him enough light to keep working.

"Wow. You really thought this through, didn't you?" I asked, shaking my head at the meticulous man before me.

"I really did."

I sighed and shook my head. "Alright, well, that's enough of that. We're in a massive storm, the power's out, and we have nothing but candles. We're gonna build a fort, play board games, and then... well, and then see where the night takes us."

I trailed off at the end, giving Elijah a wink I knew he'd understand. A smile tugged at the corner of his mouth, and his eyes sparkled as he spoke.

"A fort?" I could hear the barely contained laughter in his voice, but it only encouraged me.

"Hell yes a fort! Come on! You're a thousand years old, you have plenty of time left to write treaties. Siblings gone, lights out? This is a rare opportunity for some fun in our lives." Elijah still didn't look convinced, so I took his hand and sat on the edge of the desk, fixing him with my best puppy dog eyes. "Come on, 'Lij. Please? I promise it'll be fun. I just wanna spend some time with you while I have you all to myself."