Trust Me (Matt Donovan)

Written for @auroracalisto's prompt challenge on Tumblr!

Prompt: "Is that fake blood? Please tell me that's fake blood." "That's real blood..."

Summary: Matt and Y/N have been dating for a few years, through all the ups and downs of Mystic Falls and, later, Whitmore. Their relationship almost didn't survive Y/N being turned into a vampire, but through some miracle (and a lot of love and hard work), they managed to stay together. They're still working through the different challenges that come with their new relationship, however, and every so often something new comes along to threaten the stability they're fighting for.

*****************

I walked with my head down, trying to find my phone in the absolute mess I called a purse. I was supposed to meet my boyfriend, Matt Donovan, ten minutes ago at the Whitmore Halloween party, but I'd been working on an essay with my phone completely turned off and totally lost track of the time. Fortunately, Matt knew enough other Whitmore students that I knew he'd be fine, but I still felt bad.

I told him I was on my way, then sprinted out of the house. I'd been so tempted to use my vampire speed, but I didn't want anyone to see me, so I managed to keep myself in check. Caroline, Elena, and I were trying to live normal college lives, and nothing got in the way of that like outing yourself as a vampire.

I finally put my hand on something that felt like my phone and moved to pull it out of my bag, but before I could I ran headfirst into something rock hard. I stumbled backwards a step then looked up to see what'd I'd hit. A man stood in front of me, leering down at me with an ugly smile.

"You mind?" I snapped, straightening up to my full height and putting my hands on my hips.

"Not at all." He grinned at me, creepy as all hell, and then I saw the black veins start to grow under his eyes before he rushed at me.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," I groaned. The guy used his super speed, but he was still way too slow for me. He must have been a very new vampire, especially since he didn't even realize I was one. I'd only been one for a year and I was way smarter than him!

I grabbed the guy's wrist and snapped it as he rushed me. He cried out in pain, then whirled around and tried to grab me with his other arm. We were close enough to the same vamp age that I didn't actually have much of a strength advantage, and I kept being forced to back up as our fight continued.

I grit my teeth, sparing half a second to glance around for anybody I could call for help. There was no one, which meant it was up to me to handle myself.

I took a deep breath and tried to remember the deputy training stuff Matt had been trying to teach me. I ducked and dodged a few wild swipes from my attacker, then when I saw my opening, I shot my hand forward as fast as possible and plunged it into the guy's rib cage.

I ripped out his heart before I could second guess myself, and his skin turned ashen gray before he collapsed to the ground, dead. I'd never been as comfortable with killing as Damon and Stefan, but I wasn't too upset about this guy, since he'd clearly been trying to prey on women he thought couldn't fight back. The world was better off without him.

I took a deep breath and dropped the heart on the ground next to the guy. I needed to do something to get rid of the body to keep the entire campus from lighting up about weird things going on and a dude being killed, but it was going to make me so much later than I already was. I sighed heavily. There was really nothing I could do about it.

I looked around for some kind of inspiration and the fastest way to take care of this thing and move on, and then I noticed Damon's car in the parking lot. He was here to attend the party with Elena, but he'd also told me a while ago he was willing to help me if I needed him in my vampire transition process.