Little Sister (Marcel Gerard)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "I don't think this is your problem"

Summary: Davina's older sister, Y/N, was banished from New Orleans by her coven when Davina was still a kid, for trying to stop her best friend from being drafted into the Harvest Girl ritual. Now, years later, she's finally managed to break the magic keeping her from the city and is reunited with her little sister. However, she's not the only one who's fiercely protective over Davina, and that might lead to a few growing pains between her and a certain vampire of New Orleans.

****************

I wandered into the restaurant, trying not to look too jittery as I scanned the room. Davina, my sister, had called and asked me to meet her here as soon as I could, so of course I'd come running.

Davina and I had been separated for a long, long time. I'd been cast out from my coven for trying to put a stop to the Harvest Girl ritual when one of my best friends had been selected, making me banished from my community just after I'd turned 18. I hadn't come been able to come back for a long, long time, but when I finally could, I raced back to try to find my baby sister.

She'd been just a kid when I was forced to leave. I was horrified when word reached me that she'd been chosen as a Harvest Girl herself, and after years of fighting to find a way to break the spell keeping me out of New Orleans, I'd finally managed it.

Davina, thankfully, had been fine when I'd eventually found her. I think I might've accidentally scared her a little when I first saw her, since I'd started shaking and crying with no real explanation. It didn't take her long to understand, though, and as soon as she hugged me I held her so tight I wasn't sure I'd ever let go.

I'd apologized over and over and over for not being here for her, and for not coming to her rescue when she needed me. She'd assured me we were okay, and we'd spent the rest of the night catching up and being together, but I still couldn't shake the guilt

I'd lost a lot of time with my baby sister. I wasn't going to lose anymore.

Needless to say, when she called me and asked me to meet her, I was over the moon. I'd been in the process of looking for an apartment for the both of us, and it was going pretty well, so hopefully she could just shout from the living room in a few more weeks.

I found Davina without too much trouble, sitting at a table in the back and looking glum. I immediately went into protective sister mode, scanning the area with one eye and trying to evaluate my sister with the other.

"Dav," I breathed, sitting down next to her and immediately putting an arm across her shoulders. "What's wrong?"

She sighed and looked at me, a sheen of tears and disappointment in her eyes.

"The Mikaelsons are trying to make trouble again," she said. I nodded, mentally trying to remember everything she'd told me last night. The Mikaelsons, big bad original vampires of legend, had been running around town fighting for control of New Orleans and dragging my baby sister into the middle of it. "I just thought we might finally be getting a break from everything, you know? This breakfast was supposed to be-"

"Hey."

I turned around with a glare, keeping my arm slung over Davina's shoulder, to find a tall, handsome man staring down at me. He was clearly a vampire, and the slight edge to his gaze only made me more protective of Davina.

"I don't know who you think you are, but I don't think this is your problem," he said. He nodded to Davina, then looked at me and nodded to the door like he expected me to get up and leave. I snorted and stood up to face him, putting myself between him and her.