Ghost Tour (Kol Mikaelson)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "You love this, don't you?"

Summary: Kol and Y/N are dating, and Kol lost a bet they had going. Now, he has to dress up like an old-timey ghost and scare a bunch of tourists as consequences for his loss.

****************

"You love this, don't you?" asked my boyfriend, Kol Mikaelson, as he frowned at himself in the mirror.

"What, watching you dressed up in a ridiculous outfit, about to head out into the city to make a fool of yourself? Yeah, actually, I do love that."

Kol huffed a sigh, clearly unhappy. He'd lost a bet with me about how many times we could sneak a piece of scrap paper into Elijah's hair before he'd catch us (less than twice, like I'd said), so now, he had to dress up as a ridiculous old-fashioned ghost (using his own old clothing, which I kept making fun of him about) and pretend to be a ghost to freak out a New Orleans tour group.

I'd been counting down the minutes all day, and now, it was finally time.

I'd given him some makeup to make him look more pale, and his cheeks and eye sockets more hollow and sunken, and then I'd draped fake cobwebs all over his outfit. He looked perfect, if I did say so myself, and I couldn't wait to put my idea to the test.

Messing with Kol and pranking tourists? I couldn't have asked for a better evening activity.

"Are you seriously going to make me do this?" he asked, finally turning away from the mirror to look at me. I just smiled as I crossed the room toward him, gently putting my hands on his cheeks and being careful not to mess up the makeup. I gave him a gentle, soft kiss and then pulled back with a grin.

"Kol. My love. My best friend. You absolutely must know me well enough by now to know that the answer is yes." He groaned dramatically and threw his head back, which only made me laugh. "C'mon, out the door! We have places to be, after all."

****************

"Alright, they're looking up at the buildings and the guide just finished her bit about ghosts. Now's your moment, go."

I muttered under my breath as I watched Kol, half-hidden behind a pillar on the other side of the street. Thanks to his supernatural vampire hearing, I could whisper instructions in his general direction from pretty far away and he could hear me, no walkie-talkies or other technology needed.

Kol glared at me, and I could tell he was still not happy to be stuck doing this. Unfortunately for him, however, the vampire hearing was a one-way street, and as a human, I had no shot of hearing him unless he yelled at the top of his lungs. The most whining he could do was some pouty looks.

I saw him take a deep, dramatic sigh and throw his head back, and then he dropped into character as a creepy, lurking ghost. He wandered towards the tour group, really hamming it up that he was lost, confused, and definitely definitely dead.

Although, I guess technically, he really was dead.

It took a few minutes, but slowly, the tour group started noticing Kol. A couple of college kids nudged each other and nodded to Kol, smiling at the goofy ghost they assumed the tour had hired to spook them. A few people tried to sneak pictures of him, and one person even waved at him. He didn't react. Instead, he just swayed in place, playing the part of a dreamy ghost perfectly. All the tourists still thought it was fake (and technically they were right), but once Kol had just about everyone's attention, it was time for him to make his move.

He took a few dreamy, stumbly steps forward, and the crowd followed his movements with their eyes. They smiled and whispered to each other, clearly enjoying what they thought was a planned performance. Then, Kol reached a massive pillar on the sidewalk, opposite to the one he'd been hiding behind before. The people watched him as he disappeared behind it, and then so fast that I didn't even catch the move, he used his super speed to essentially disappear.

I grinned as I saw the tourists' faces change from delighted to confused when Kol failed to reappear from behind the pillar. After waiting a few moments, one of the more curious people stepped forward to look behind the pillar for Kol.

Her face when she realized he was gone was priceless.

The rest of the group quickly caught on that they ghost they'd seen had disappeared, and they all whirled around in different directions, looking for any sign of my boyfriend. I grinned, trying not to look too suspicious even as I watched the chaos.

"Happy?" I jumped at the sound of a voice behind me, then whirled around to find Kol. He had one eyebrow raised at me, but I could tell he was enjoying the chaos and confusion we'd caused just as much as I was.

"Very happy," I said, giving him a big smile. "But we can't hang around here in plain sight. The whole thing's ruined if one of them sees you!"

"Darling, say no more."

With that, he wrapped an arm around my waist and picked me up, using his super speed to whisk us away before I knew what was happening. We came to a stop outside the Mikaelson compound, and I had to grab onto Kol's shoulders to keep from falling over.

"I hate when you do that," I said, still swaying a little as I got my bearings.

"Sorry darling," he said, grinning as he spoke and not sounding sorry at all. "But you're the one who said we needed to get out of there quickly."

"Yeah yeah, whatever," I grumbled. I took a step away from him once I felt sturdy enough to stand on my own two feet, and then looked up at him with a smile. "So? The punishment for losing the bet could've been worse, right?"

"...I hate to admit it lest you start getting ideas, but... that actually was sort of fun. Did you see how freaked out they all looked when I disappeared?"

"Of course I saw it! It was fantastic." We shared mischievous grins, then Kol threw an arm around my shoulders and started heading towards the house.

"So, now that our bet and punishment have been officially completed... what do you say we find something else ridiculous to bet on?"

"Oh, bring it on," I said with a grin. "I've already got at least three ideas for what I'm going to make you do when you lose this next bet."

"Mhmm. I guess we'll just have to see, won't we?"

"I guess we will."

We headed into the house together, arms around each other and smirks on our faces. Whether or not Kol lost the next bet we made, I knew every step of the process would be a blast. Even in the midst of all the supernatural drama that came with the Mikaelson family, we found ways to make each other laugh.

We were the perfect pair. And not even endless amounts of making each other do ridiculous shit would ever break us apart.