Pool Shark (Kol Mikaelson)

Written for Fictober 2021 on Tumblr

Prompt: "You could have died!"

Summary: Y/N and Kol have been dating for a while now, but he still hasn't told them he's a vampire. A night out on the town (and several lost pool games) might change all that, however, after a run in with some unsavory people in a New Orleans bar.

****************

"Alright, this is it. Your winning streak ends today, Kol Mikaelson."

I grinned at my boyfriend as I added chalk to the end of my cue stick, and he just smirked right back. Kol and I were out on the town in New Orleans, bar hopping and having the time of our lives. We'd played a game of pool at the first place we went to, and he'd come from behind to absolutely destroy me. I'd been trying to take him down ever since.

"Whatever you say, darling," he said, moving to the end of the table. "Would you like to break, or should I?"

"I'll do it. I'm not risking you pulling off another one of those super-human breaks of yours and sinking two balls before the game's even started."

"Suit yourself," said Kol, leaning back with an amused grin. I stepped up to the table in his place, lining up my cue and trying to focus. Kol, the jackass, stood behind me and didn't make a sound. He was so in my head at this point, he didn't need to do anything to mess with my game.

I took a deep breath, then hit the ball. It ricocheted into the others, and one of the solids almost rolled in, but not quite. I sighed, then turned to Kol.

"Alright, pool champ. Get that smug look off your face and take your turn."

Kol just grinned as he stepped past me to the table, kissing me on the cheek as he went.

At least the games were enjoyable, even if I was losing.

****************

Several drinks and an hour later, Kol had just beaten me again. I sighed heavily as I put my pool cue away.

"Well, that settles it. You're unbeatable," I said.

"Oh come on, darling. Don't tell me you're giving up that easily. After only the fifth defeat?"

I just shook my head as I walked around the table to meet him. I leaned up and gave him a kiss, which he quickly returned. After a few seconds, however, I pulled away.

"I guess that means I'm buying another round of drinks."

"I guess it does," he said with a grin.

"Alright, I'll be right back," I said. I turned and headed to the bar, unable to keep a smile off my face. Even when he was being insufferably good at pool, I just couldn't get mad at Kol. Ever since we started dating, I'd been happier than ever. He was perfect.

I got to the bar and ordered our usual drinks. I leaned against the counter while I waited. After a full night of running around and drinking with Kol, I was starting to feel the affects of the alcohol a little more. Somehow, Kol didn't seem bothered. I swear, sometimes my boyfriend seemed absolutely unreal.

"Hey there, sweetheart."

I looked to my right to find a man leering at me with what I'm sure he thought was a charming smile. I gave him a curt nod, then turned away.

"Hey. I'm talking to you, honey."

"I know," I replied without turning to face him. "And I'm not listening."

"Rude bitch," he slurred. I was about to walk away when he reached out and grabbed my arm. My heart dropped, and I got ready to scream or make a scene (whatever I had to do to get out of there), when Kol appeared over the man's shoulder. Literally appeared, out of nowhere. One minute he was there, the next he wasn't.