The Vastness of the Universe (Damon Salvatore)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "That's not why we're doing this!"

Summary: Y/N drags Damon, their boyfriend, out to the middle of a field in the dead of the night to watch a meteor shower. Normally not his cup of tea, but he'd do absolutely anything for the love of his life.

****************

"How much further are we supposed to hike into this field, Y/N?" whined Damon, my boyfriend, from a few steps behind me. I just grinned and kept walking, undeterred.

"Not much further! In fact, I'm happy to declare the perfect spot is riiiiight... here."

I stopped triumphantly, hands on my hips, and whirled to face my boyfriend. He had our late-night picnic basket and blanket with him, and he looked unimpressed.

"And how is this different than any other spot in this massive field?"

"Because! It just is."

He rolled his eyes, but I just smiled as I took the blanket from him and laid it out on the ground. It was dark, but the moon provided enough light that we didn't need a flashlight.

"Come on and help me get set up, we don't want to miss any of the meteor shower."

Damon sighed, but came to help me nonetheless. We laid out all the snacks we'd brought, and I dipped into a few while we worked, then finally, our setup was perfect. Damon and I laid all the way back together on the blanket, my head resting on his arm laid out behind me as we stared up at the stars together.

"You know, if you'd wanted to get me alone in the middle of nowhere to make out on a blanket, you could've just asked," he teased. I whacked his chest, and he groaned like it'd hurt, but given that I was a human and he was a vampire, I felt pretty confident it hadn't.

"That's not why we're doing this! And you know it, so cool it."

Damon just laughed and wrapped his arm around me a little more tightly. He loved being able to make me flustered, and unfortunately for me, he was also pretty good at it.

I sighed and settled in a little, the last of the tension relaxing out of my body as I looked up at the stars. They were absolutely beautiful, and with the cool night air mixed with the warmth of my boyfriend laying next to me, I couldn't have asked for a more perfectly peaceful night.

Finally, after a few more minutes of waiting patiently, I caught sight of the first shooting star. I gasped, my hand shooting up to point at it.

"Look! Damon, there it is!"

"I see it. There's another one, look."

He pointed too as another star streaked across the sky, then another and another. The meteor shower was officially in full swing, and it was stunning.

I stared up at the night sky in wonder, my eyes tracing the bright balls of light as they raced across the darkness of space. Taking in that sight, I felt so small in my place in the world. But in a good way. The universe was so wide and wonderful, it was stunning to lay here and think about it.

Damon and I stayed like that, cuddled up and eyes on the stars as the meteor shower continued. As the meteors streaked across the sky in droves, however, I started to feel like I was being watched. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Damon's stare fixed on me instead of the wondrous sight above us.

I turned my head to face him, almost knocking our foreheads together as I did. I frowned as he continued to stare at me, paying absolutely no attention to the wonder of nature happening above us.

"Damon, what are you staring at?" I asked.

"You," he said simply. I shook my head and laughed a little.

"Well no kidding. But come on, you're missing the shower!"

I turned to look back at the sky, but Damon's gaze didn't budge as he mumbled his response.

"I'm not missing anything."

I looked back at him again, meeting his piercing blue eyes. His expression was completely open, which was actually pretty rare for him, and I could see the love radiating off of him as he continued to stare at me.

"Damon..."

"You're the love of my life, Y/N," he said. "I don't need to look up at the stars and make a wish, because I already got mine. You. Here, with me. You're my shooting star."

I smiled and wrapped one arm around Damon's waist, rolling over to lay on his chest a bit more as I did. I leaned down to plant a soft kiss on his lips, and his arms tightened around me in response.

"I love you, Damon Salvatore. You're my wish come true, too."

Damon pulled me closer to him, kissing me hard before flipping us over on the blanket so he hovered above me. He didn't show it, since he wasn't usually the most open about his feelings, but I could tell my words meant the world to him.

We stayed like that for a few more moments, until Damon made himself pull away. I could tell it was the last thing he wanted to do, but he put our foreheads together and closed his eyes as he spoke.

"All I want to do right now is finish what we started on this blanket," he said. "But you dragged me out here to watch the stars, so it can wait until we get home."

I smiled at him and leaned up to give him one last quick kiss before he rolled over again, pulling me into his side and positioning us so we could both watch the stars. I could hear his heartbeat in his chest as we lay there together, the two of us, alone in the vastness of the universe. When I'd first found out about vampires and the like in Mystic Falls, it had felt like a lot more trouble than it was worth. And in some ways, that was still true. But Damon, and the other friendships I'd made, had slowly started to balance out all the bad things.

Wishes on shooting stars often didn't come true, so if my wish came with a few supernatrual caveats, I was perfectly happy to deal with them.