Mental Block (Klaus Mikaelson)

Prompt: "Not interested, thank you."

Summary: Y/N is a SHIELD agent with inhuman mental powers, in New Orleans for a well-earned vacation after managing to survive all their training. A nice day in the city turns into an adventure when a strange man with a British accent crashes their vacation.

Written for Day Fifteen of Fictober on Tumblr!

*****************

I fought the urge to hum as I strolled down the streets of New Orleans, taking in the sights of the French Quarter. It was the first real vacation that I'd been on since SHIELD found me and took me in for training, and I intended to get every single moment of enjoyment out of it that I could.

I strolled through the city all morning, then popped into a little restaurant and bar off the street when I got hungry. It felt incredible to be so free, and to just make decisions on a whim without any kind of planning or input from my trainers or bosses.

I was going to do whatever the hell I wanted while I was here.

I went back to wandering the city after lunch, stopping to peek into stores that looked interesting. I found a lot of stores themed around witchcraft, and I had a ton of fun poking around in there. Finally, I found an album store, and I was in heaven.

"Oh my gosh, I'm gonna spend the rest of the day here," I muttered, flipping through the vinyls carefully, one by one.

I heard the bell over the door jingle, but I didn't bother paying attention to whoever came in. I had much more interesting, important things going on with the wall of vinyls in front of me.

"Joe. I need something from you."

I tuned out of the conversation behind me, focusing instead on the music in front of me. Whoever came in had a British accent, but not even that was enough to rip me away from all the records.

I'd just found one of my favorite albums of all time in the middle of the stack when someone had the audacity to interrupt me. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around to see who it was, only to come face to face with the attractive guy who must've walked in earlier.

"Hello love," he said, giving me a roguish smile.

"Hello..."

"I need you to do something for me." Before I could respond, he met my eyes with and intense stare and clapped a hand on my shoulder. He shoved a wooden stake at me with his other hand, and I was so surprised I took it without questioning. "You are going to take this stake and drive it through the heart of the next person to walk through that door."

"Uh... no?"

I shifted a step back, keeping the stake in my hands. If SHIELD training had taught me anything, it was to keep the weapons out of the hands of apparently crazy people.

The guy furrowed his eyebrows at me, looking confused by the idea that I wouldn't want to stab somebody for him. He glanced down at my hands, and I got ready to go into full-SHIELD mode, but then faster than I could blink he ripped the bracelet off my arm and held it up to look at.

Years of SHIELD training meant I had incredible reflexes, and mental powers usually meant I was doubly fast. But I hadn't even seen this guy move.

"What's in this?" he mused turning my bracelet over in his hands and holding it up to the light. "I bet I can guess..."

Like lightning, he chucked it across the room and away from both of us. I tightened my grip on the stake and did a quick scan of the area to get an idea of my options if things escalated to a fight. I didn't want to hurt any of these beautiful records if I didn't have to, but they did give me plenty of options for an improvised weapon.