New Orleans (Klaus Mikaelson)

Written for Fictober 2021 on Tumblr and requested by anon!

Prompt: "Take me with you."

Summary: Y/N and Klaus have been dating for a little while, and they've been best friends even longer. They've finally weathered most of the storm Mystic Falls has to offer, and Y/N has started their first semester at the University of Virginia. Just when everything's going perfectly, the Mikaelsons have decided to move to New Orleans, and it might spell the end for Y/N and Klaus.

****************

I bounced up the steps to the gorgeous mansion the Mikaelson family had taken up residence in since moving to Mystic Falls. My best friend and boyfriend, Klaus Mikaelson, had texted me and asked me to meet him here, and after picking up our favorite drinks from the local coffee shop, I had.

I knocked on the door, but after a few seconds with no response, I decided to just go in. As the strongest, hardest to kill vampires in the world, they didn't bother locking their door.

I kept trying to convince them it might not hurt to take a little extra precaution, since they also had the most enemies in the world, but none of them wanted to listen.

"Nik?" I called, taking a few steps into the foyer. "Where are you? I have your coffee that you're embarrassed to order for yourself!"

On cue, Nik appeared at the top of the stairway. Normally he'd be grinning (or giving me a playful scowl for my comment about the coffee), but now he looked solemn and morose. I felt my heart drop and I quickly set down the coffees.

"Nikkie? What's wrong?"

I got up the first few stairs before Nik sped down to meet me. He held my forearms gently and stared into my eyes sadly, and I swear I was a second away from a heart attack.

"We need to talk, love," he said. I looked at him, silently asking him to keep explaining, but he just shifted his grip to one of my arms and gently lead me down the stairs. I didn't take my eyes off him as we moved into the living room, and he sat down on the couch. I kept staring at him without moving an inch.

"Nik, you're seriously starting to freak me out. Please, tell me what's going on."

He patted the spot next to him, and I sat with a sigh. I stared him down, and after glancing away for a second, he looked back at me.

"I'm moving to New Orleans," he said. "My family and I. We're leaving Mystic Falls for good... tomorrow."

I just stared at him, not quite sure what to do. My brain was working overtime to process his words, but for some reason, they just couldn't.

"Love... please say something." He sounded close to tears (or as close as Klaus Mikaelson ever got) as he reached out and grabbed my hands.

"I... honestly Nikkie, I don't know what to say. From the way you were acting I thought somebody died or that you were about to die, so I'm still feeling pretty relieved that that's not the case..." I paused, and my brain finally landed on another coherent thought. "Why are you moving to New Orleans?"

Nik sighed. I could tell he was hoping to somehow avoid this question, although it seemed the most obvious to me.

"Well, that's a funny story." I just stared at him, and he grimaced. "You have to understand, Y/N, this was before we started dating. I... I could only dream that you'd agree to go out with me, at that point. I thought you only saw me as a friend..."

"Niklaus Mikaelson. Please, please get to the point."

He sighed. "Hayley Marshall and I slept together. Just once. Apparently, it was enough. It's like a bad sexual education advertisement..."