Subtext (Enzo St. John)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "I never said that!"

Summary: Y/N and Liv Parker have ended up with an absolutely terrible group project partner for one of their Whitmore classes. When Y/N texts her boyfriend to complain about it, however, he may or may not have a good solution to the problem.

****************

"Alright, so I was thinking we could-"

"Oh shit, wait, I just had a great idea!"

I clenched my teeth and fought the urge to strangle Brendon, the only male and non-supernatural-adjacent member of my group project. Across the table I could see Liv Parker, my other group member, fighting to resist the same.

We'd been put in a group project together for one of our Whitmore classes, and although Liv and I had occasionally been on opposite sides of the supernatural drama, we'd quickly formed an alliance to deal with Brendon. He'd established himself as a total asshole who talked over both of us, restated our ideas pretending they were some new thing he'd come up with, and blatantly ignored everything else we said. He was the enemy, and as soon as this group project was over, I was never going to speak to him again.

I pulled out my phone under the table while Brendon droned on, laying out something stupidly simple like Liv and I needed careful explanations of every step. I glanced between her and my phone, and I could see in her eyes that she was daydreaming about using a little magic to get some slow, painful revenge.

I pulled up the text thread between me and my boyfriend, Enzo, and quickly typed out a message:

Me: Brendon is back on his bullshit again

I'd been complaining about Brendon to Enzo pretty much since the first day of the group project. I looked up to check back in with him and Liv, but he was in the middle of trying to diagram out one of the simplest possible concepts from class on a paper. My phone buzzed with an incoming text, and I happily went back to ignoring him.

Enzo: Do you want me to kill him for you?

I snorted, then quickly brought a hand to my face to try and hide the laugh. I looked up to find Brendon shooting me a dirty look.

"Y/N, you have to pay attention."

"Believe it or not, Brendon, I already know how to do the shit we went over ten times in class."

He scoffed, then segued back into his explanation. I looked at Liv in disbelief, and she gave me an over dramatic eye roll.

Ignoring Brendon, I looked back at my phone to respond to Enzo. If I didn't respond in the next few minutes, Enzo might mistake my silence as an affirmative answer to his question.

Me: NO. I've literally never answered yes to that question

Enzo: I keep waiting for the day

I rolled my eyes, then sent him the eye roll emoji. I had no doubt Enzo really would take somebody out for me if I asked him to, and to be honest, I wasn't sure how to feel about that.

Enzo: So you don't want me to do anything?

Me: I want you to let me whine about him

The typing bubble appeared and disappeared a few times, then finally another message came through.

Enzo: And there's not ANYTHING else

Me: Enz, we've been dating long enough that I feel like you know I'm not going to say 'come here and terrify the shit out of him with your vampire face'