Fettuccini Alfredo (Kai Parker)

Written for @auroracalisto's prompt challenge on Tumblr. Prompt: "Who's there?" "Not me."

Summary: Y/N was in love with and happily dating Kai Parker before everything went South. Things were looking up after he merged with Luke Parker, but it quickly went downhill after Bonnie trapped him in the 1903 prison world. It ended when Damon killed him, and Y/N's been trying to cope ever since. They've finally moved on and started a new life, far away from all the vampire drama, but all that might be upset when Y/N finds someone in their apartment who's not supposed to be there.

****************

"I'm gonna lose my mind before the end of the semester. I just know I am," I said, shaking my head as I put away my laptop and notebooks. My friends and I had been studying in the student union building for the past three hours, and my brain had started to melt around hour two.

"At least that way you'd get to take a leave of absence or something without guilt," muttered one of my friends. We all muttered our exhausted agreement as we started heading home.

"Maybe one of our professors will take pity on us and cancel a test or something," suggested one of my friends. I could tell even she didn't hold out hope for what she was saying, but she said it anyway.

"All we can do is hope," I sighed. "And at least in another few weeks we'll be done with all this nonsense, one way or another."

My friends nodded solemnly as we got out into the brisk night air. We said our exhausted goodbyes and went our separate ways, and I tried to focus on taking deep breaths as I made my way back to my apartment. It had been a long semester, but despite all the tests and work, I was doing better than I had been in a long time.

Over the spring and summer, my former friends in Mystic Falls had killed my boyfriend, Kai Parker. He'd done plenty of terrible things, but there'd been a glimmer of hope for him that I'd been determined to capitalize on after he merged with his brother, Luke. That is, until Bonnie trapped him in a prison world with a bunch of killer heretics, and he came back angrier and more violent than ever.

He did horrible things, and the Mystic Falls gang did horrible things back until Damon killed him at the beginning of the summer.

I'd been devastated. I understood why my friends didn't like him, but he was different around me. I knew there was good in him, and that he was starting to come around. But of course, he never got the chance.

It took me some time to come to terms with the fact that I'd never see Kai again. It still sucked to think about, and even with my busy schedule, he slipped into my thoughts more often than not. But one good thing had come out of the heartbreak: I'd finally decided to move away from Mystic Falls. I ended up in school in the middle of the country, away from all the painful memories, drama, and danger, and I'd almost never been happier.

The only thing that could've made it better was Kai.

I trudged up the stairs to my apartment, incredibly tempted to just pass out in one of the arm chairs in the lobby. Somehow, I resisted the temptation. I managed to make it to my floor, then staggered down the hallway to my door. All I wanted to do was pass out and forget all about the final projects, tests, and papers hovering on my horizon.

I reached into my pocket to pull out my keys, but froze on the spot when I realized my door was already open. It was cracked just slightly, and when I listened, I could hear some noises coming from inside.

Instantly, all thoughts of school disappeared from my mind. I set down my school bag and dug through it to find the stake that I always carried with me.