Bad Taste (Kol Mikaelson)

Summary: Reader's a friend of the Mikaelsons, and has been living with them in New Orleans for a few years. They've had a thing for Kol since first meeting him, but nothing's ever come of it. However, that might change when reader and Kol get into a music-war and the rest of the Mikaelsons decide they need to step in and do something about it.

Warnings: Some serious country music bashing. I don't actually hate it that much, and I think there's some good stuff out there that's fun to listen to, but I leaned into the country music bashing for the comedy 😉

****************

I tapped my foot and stared at the blank computer screen in front of me, trying to get in the headspace to write my poetry assignment for a ridiculous English class. In theory, it should be fun to write poetry, but somehow it became a lot harder when it was for a grade.

I had my playlist on softly in the background, the upbeat pop helping put me in the mood for the poem I wanted to write. I typed out a first line, and I was just making some progress on a second when the room started shaking with the base beat off of a bunch of stupid, angsty alternative rock.

Kol. It had to be.

The youngest Mikaelson and I had opposite tastes in a few ways, but none were more obvious than our differing taste in music. I liked happy, upbeat tunes that didn't break glass and rattle chandeliers, and Kol didn't. He liked people yelling over loud drums and guitars.

I scowled and turned my music up, then tried to refocus on my poetry. Before I could do more than reread the one line I'd written, I heard Kol turn his music up, now so loud that I could hear some of the words.

I whirled around and glared at the door, even though I knew Kol couldn't see me. I debated going out there and yelling, but instead, I turned back to my speakers and cranked my music up even louder.

This was a war now.

I opened my phone and immediately cued the songs I knew Kol would hate the most, leaving my poem forgotten. His music cranked up another few notches, just loud enough to be heard over my own, and I was in the middle of getting a louder speaker for a comeback when his music shut off. I didn't get more than three steps to the door before it was flung open and my music was shut off too, a scowling Klaus standing by my speaker.

"Can we get some bloody peace and quiet in this house?" he roared, throwing his hands out in exasperation.

"Your brother started it!" I yelled back. "My music was at a perfectly reasonable level before he started blasting his nonsense!"

"Well love, the thing about being a vampire is, I can hear your music even when it's at a normal level for a human," said a voice from behind me. I whirled around to see Kol leaning in the doorway, arms crossed as he looked at me and his brother. "I couldn't focus on anything with you sending all that disgusting poppy nonsense through the house."

I opened my mouth to yell back at Kol, absolutely fuming at his attitude and garbage music opinions, but Klaus jumped in before I could.

"Alright, I've had enough of both of you. I'm trying to come up with a plan to ensure a future for both this city and my child, and I don't need the two of you arguing all bloody day to distract me! Use headphones or work in silence, but if I hear another round of music wars, I'm breaking both your speakers."

He shot a glare at me and then Kol, then sped out of the room before we could argue.

"God, he's such a pain in the ass," I said to Kol once Klaus was out of the room.

"You're telling me. I've had to live with him for the past thousand years, I promise it's worse over time."

I cracked a smile at that, before remembering I still had an assignment to do.