Chapter 5

♤⚔ ♤⚔ ♤⚔

Finally disembarking from the captain's chambers, Harry strolls across the deck in search of where the infamous pirate could be. As opposed to the ship he had been on with his father, this one is significantly larger. And with an increase in size comes an increase in crew members. Men are covering every inch, taking care of each task as they work away at their jobs. Harry doesn't look any of them in the eye as he passes, just trying to make it from point A to point B.

"Oi, you! Omega!"

Snapping his head up at the call, Harry hesitantly questions, "Yes?"

From the crowd, a red-headed Alpha comes over to Harry, clearly the one that had called to him, "Ahoy there, mate. I'm Ed, the Sailin' Master."

"Sailing Master?"

"Ay," the pirate beams, "I'm the one that guides this beautiful piece of wood towards its next destination."

"Oh, impressive."

"Thanks. Uh," Ed scratches at his hair, "Well I didn't come to chat for the fuck of it, captain's given me orders to show you around."

Harry nods, thankful that this Alpha is the one chosen for the job since he seems to be rather friendly thus far. Curiously, Harry notes that Niall too had been rather amiable considering the reputation these men supposedly have. The Omega comes to the decision of asking about it when he gets a chance.

"Alright, I would like that."

"Great – not that you had a choice or anythin', but it's always better when there's consent."

The statement doesn't bode well for the Omega when he thinks about how many other situations that could be applied to, but Harry ignores the rise of anxiety as he follows behind the pirate. While he does, the Alpha's scent wafts back into Harry's nostrils, and though it's not bad by any means, it's not the scent his Omega is searching for.

Although the one he finds appealing is the one Harry won't ever risk admitting, even alone to himself.

"This is the upper deck," Ed points as the two pass through the area, "This is where most of the meetin's are held. You won't have to worry about any of that. Your priority's gonna be the captain's room and the dinin' hall in the belly of the ship. If Will lets you wander anywhere farther than that, I'd be gobsmacked."

"Ed? May I ask you a question?"

"Hm," Ed hums as he leads Harry towards the stairs that travel below deck.

"Uh, for lack of something better, why are you so nice? And Niall? He was just as pleasant to me as you are right now, and it makes it hard to imagine you both being part of the same fearing crew."

The Alpha chuckles unoffended, "Niall is the exception to the rule, and I was taken from a Navy ship. Born as a commoner, I joined the Navy to experience somethin' better than what I had. When Will's crew took me in, it was a lot more like a blessin' than a curse."

"So, you both are the only ones that are nice on this ship?"

"There are a few of us good-natured mates aboard The Black Dagger, but we all fight when it's time to. This is our home Harry, and we have to protect that."

The Omega asks on, "But if there is any truth to the rumors, then you do a lot more than protect this boat."

"Rumors are exactly that, a rumor," the Alpha says, "You'll see for yourself soon enough."

Harry has one question left that he's unsure if he really wants to know, but for the sake of calming his curiosity he asks anyway, "Ed?"

"Ay?"