Chapter 17

♤⚔ ♤⚔ ♤⚔

"Niall, what do I do?"

The Beta is next to him as they sit below deck in Niall's hammock. "I really don't know," comes out solemnly from his lips.

"I did everything I could. I thought...I thought I was making a difference."

"Harry, you did!"

"Not enough apparently."

"I don't know how to turn this around," Niall sadly replies. "But I do know that you should not spend these next few days feelin' sorry for yourself. You put your heart on the line, you did everythin' right. Sometimes there's nothin' more that can be done."

Harry cries abundantly again, and Niall immediately wraps the Omega up into his arms to comfort him. "I love him so much, Ni," Harry weeps into the Beta's chest.

"I know you do. I know. But it's gonna be alright. I promise everythin' is gonna be alright."

A few minutes come and go, and though his sobbing has not come close to an end, Harry peels his head up to ask of his friend, "I never got a chance to bring it back up, but the dog papers, did you...?"

"Ay. I knew."

Harry nods, "Thank you."

They stay like that for another hour, Niall running his fingers through Harry's hair as the Omega lays his head on the Beta's lap. However tonight, Harry's not just crying because he won't be with Louis. He's crying for the removal of this life. Niall has become Harry's closest friend in years, and Louis is taking all that away from him, too. Everything Harry's comes to love will be gone.

Later in the evening when Harry falls asleep beside the Beta, the dream he thought he had been rid of reappears again.

There they are, he and his lover lounging in the meadow. Except for this time, for the first time, the body is faceless no more. This time, it's Louis that lays beneath him, taking in the warmth. Harry doesn't wait as he grabs hold of Louis' hand and prepares for the storm. Unlike climbing the trees like last time, he has another idea in mind.

When the flood comes in, Harry helps Louis swim out into the water that's overtaken the land. When the boat comes into sight, Harry dips below the abyss, holding his breath as he watches the wooden bottom of the ship sail above them on the surface.

Harry hopes this works. He really hopes this works.

Rising back up from the depths, Harry grabs Louis' hand as they leap onto the ship and attack from behind. Dante spots them, his ever-present smirk settled in place. Running up to the Alpha, Harry begins to attack, but Dante is one step ahead and captures the Omega in his arms painfully. Now it's up to Louis to rescue them both.

"He's mine," Dante screams while Louis comes closer, but the pirate doesn't stop.

It's relieving, the sense of someone coming to your rescue. Except when Harry thinks Louis' pointing his sword at Dante, the Omega comes to an unfortunate realization that the blade is actually up to his own exposed neck instead.

What sick, twisted turn of events is this?

Both the Alphas loom over him with vicious intent etched into their eyes. Harry can't free himself, he can't break away and fight. He's completely trapped. When Louis' sword is lifted for the final act of betrayal, Harry can't do anything but watch as the sword collides.

Awakening, the Omega sits up in the bed with panic. He tries his best not to wake up Niall in his attempt to regain equilibrium, breathing heavily from his lungs as he does. No matter how much air he takes in though, he still feels breathless. While he controls his inhales and exhales, Harry also uses these seconds to think. Every dream Harry had, he failed. What did he do wrong? He drowned the first time so he climbed the next, he was shot at that time so he attacked after. What else could he have done?

Each time there was something different in the dream, well - except for Louis. Every single once, Harry had fought to save the both of them. Which is incredibly upsetting since the Alpha double-crossed him in the end. Although maybe that was the issue all along? This entire time Harry had been trying to come up with ways for them to make it past Dante. Make it out together. When in retrospect that probably wasn't what he needed to do, to accomplish.

He spent all that time trying to save Louis when he really should have been trying to save himself.

♤⚔ ♤⚔ ♤⚔

sorry for the sad stuff! But...what do you think is going to happen next?