6

'The hospital is stated in the next block,' I hear Mai say. 'There's no electricity nor running water, but batteries still seem to work. When we use lamps with batteries, we have to be able to see something and treat our wounds.'

I had wondered again why I agreed to go with them, but her words remind me of it. Now that the feeling of adrenaline and the biggest shock have passed, I feel my scraped arms ache. I have to disinfect and treat them if I want them to heal properly. And although I prefer continuing on my own over going with these people, I also know that I can't do that. Normally, I don't care if people think I'm unkind, but since they're the only people I've seen so far, I think it would be better to go with them for now. Besides, I still need answers and how am I going to find them on my own?

'So now we have a three-day visa.' I try to say with a neutral voice. I don't want to push them into answering my questions when they have something else on their minds, like their wounds, but I still want to try to stick with the topic. I need answers. 'And after those three days, we have to play another game?' Fortunately, they are willing to answer me, although Yuri doesn't seem to like it very much. 'Yes,' he says. He sounded bored, as if he doesn't feel like talking to me. Still, I persist. 'And what happens if you don't?'

'Then you'll be shot in the head with a laser beam,' he replies. At first he sounds amused, as if he enjoys startling me with that news, but then he turns away when he sees I'm not. I had already thought something like that. 'We've all been given a card,' I say, 'the three of clubs. Do you get a different card with every game?'

'My God,' Yuri sighs, looking up at me again. 'Why do you care so much? Why aren't you in shock or traumatized or something? This was your first game, wasn't it?' I shrug. 'Does it help me to become traumatized? No. Does it help me if I try to understand what kind of world I'm in right now? Yes.' Toshi gives me a somewhat jealous look, as if he wants to say that he wishes he would be so cold about this too.

'Yes,' he answers my question, 'you receive a different card with every game. If you clear it, that is.' He sighs. 'Each game has a different difficulty level and a specific focus. Clubs, for example, mainly focuses on cooperation and teamwork.'

I think about the moment when the difficulty level became known and Yuri immediately didn't look at us like we were the enemy anymore. He let go of his hostile attitude, because it was a group challenge. But there are also games that you have to solve individually, apparently. I feel a little more hope when I realize that I don't always have to rely on others to clear a game.

'Spades mainly focuses on the physical aspect of a game,' Toshi continues. That doesn't have to be a problem for me, but I see Taree looking at the ground with a painful face. His leg will certainly not heal within three days. If his next game is going to be a physical challenge, it could turn out to be dangerous for him. 'Diamonds mainly focuses on intelligence and the mental aspect of a challenge.' I nod at Toshi, to let him know that I'm still listening and that I understand what he's saying. I expect him to continue his explanation, but he doesn't. Yet there's one symbol left. 'And hearts?' I ask.

'We're here,' Mai says, with a sigh of relief. She walks straight in while supporting Taree. I look at Toshi, who still doesn't seem to be wanting to give me that information. He even avoids my questioning look and comes forward to help get Taree up the stairs. I suppress an exasperated sigh and follow them upstairs. Maybe that's enough for now. I don't know how many newbies they experience on a daily basis, but they're probably tired of explaining everything over and over again. I'd better try again later.

I decide to focus on what I do know. We just completed a team challenge and all got a poker card and three days of visa. When the visa expires, you're forced to play a game again or else you will be killed. But, apparently, you can also be killed during the game. What kind of sick world have I ended up in? The games have four categories. The latter is still unknown to me, but I don't expect to have any trouble with at least two of the ones I do know.