23

I thoughtfully look at the options for lunch. I don't know how they get it, but the offer is more extensive than the dirty, canned junk I normally take. I don't want to eat too much, but I got really hungry after my morning of exercise in the gym. I have to admit, it feels good to start my day in a useful way. It also helps that I found a room that is a long walk from where everything is happening here, which allowed me to sleep peacefully and secluded. I had set the watch's alarm for ten o'clock, so I had enough sleep and still could start the day on time.

'I'd go for the croissants with orange juice.' I catch myself looking up happily when I hear Kuina's voice next to me. 'Hey,' I say. I don't know why, but I did sound quite excited. I only spoke to her for a few minutes yesterday, but something about her makes me don't mind talking to her. 'How did it go?' I ask. It occurs to me that she might not want to answer that question at all, but she smiles slightly. 'It went well, thanks. Four of diamonds, a game with water and a light bulb. Fortunately, I was already wearing a suitable outfit.' I find myself chuckling at her comment.

I do as she suggested and grab a glass of orange juice and two croissants. I'm not asking how they got it, I'm just glad it's there. Kuina follows my lead and we walk to a table to eat. For some this is breakfast, although it's already one o'clock in the afternoon, but I also see a few people who, like me, started working out in the gym this morning. 'Lunch is often made at half past twelve,' Kuina says, 'because then most party people start to wake up slowly. It's wonderfully quiet before that.'

I agree with her. I take a bit of my croissant and emit a blissful sound that makes her laugh. 'It never gets boring to see the new Beachers when they experience all this for the first time.'

'How long have you been here?' I ask. 'I guess it's around three weeks now,' she replies. I take a sip of my drink. She looks around, but I look at her. It occurs to me to ask why she reached out to me yesterday, but I don't. Somehow I want to believe she's doing it because she's sincerely curious about me, but I keep seeing her talking to Chishiya in the lobby. Last night, he told me that he's not sure yet if I can help him. I have no idea what he meant by that and I haven't asked him. What if he uses Kuina to learn more about me? In any case, her social skills are better than his. Not that mine are that good, but still.

'What'll you be doing today?' Kuina asks. She sounds sincerely interested. I'm trying to figure out what kind of person she is. Just like me, she seems like someone who wouldn't just want to work with everyone and who's not startled by one death more or less. She would always choose herself when it would come down to it, but who doesn't? I don't have to trust her right away. At least I can have a nice chat with her, right?

I'm just about to answer when I hear my name up close. 'Kimora.' I can't figure out what intonation is in Raiden's voice, but at least he looks annoyed. For a change, it doesn't look like he went all out last night. On the contrary: it seems as if he has been awake for quite a while now.

'Oh, hey,' I reply. 'Where were you?' I don't know if he sounds worried or angry. I take another bite of my croissant before answering. 'In the gym,' I reply casually. Kuina's gaze goes from Raiden to me and back again. He wants to say something, but then I say: 'Raiden, this is Kuina. Kuina, this is Raiden.' Kuina reaches out her hand to him, but he ignores her. 'I mean, where were you last night?'

'Sleeping in a room?' I mumble, not understanding. 'Why did you go elsewhere?' His voice sounds indignant. I see a few people looking up to us. 'Could you please lower your voice?' I mumble. 'Well, why?' he wants to know. Kuina picks up her things. 'I'll talk to you later,' she says. She seems to sense that he wants to discuss something with me in private. I want to tell her not to go, but she's already gone.

I find myself getting annoyed at Raiden. I could've had a really nice conversation with her. When I look up at him, I see that he's also annoyed. He sits down next to me and then looks at Kuina, who's now sitting somewhere else. 'Be careful about what you say to whom.' It sounded bossy, which makes me laugh slightly outraged.