60

Luckily she doesn't say the words, but judging by the glowing grin on Nikita's face, it takes a lot of effort. Shiori doesn't bother. 'Suki told me you went to the meeting this afternoon,' she says with a smile. 'She thought it would do you very good and it looks like she's right.'

I try to stop thinking about the energy and comfortable warmth that Chishiya radiated on me, but somehow I just can't think about anything else. Before my cheeks can turn red, I bend over the pile of clothes I've spread out over my bed with extreme interest.

Nikita walks out of the room with a big smile on her face, to which Shiori happily leans forward in the chair. 'Do I see a flush on your cheeks there? Tell me!' I laugh and shake my head, after which I cover my face with a shirt. 'Does it have to do with someone special?' she insists, but I sigh into the shirt in frustration. '"I don't think I'm ready for a man in my life yet,"' Shiori quotes me with a certain tone in her voice.

'Ah,' I gasp, throwing the shirt back onto the bed. Shiori starts to laugh. 'This is just nice, Kimora!' she exclaims. 'Then maybe something good will come out of this misery after all.' I sink into the chair and sigh. 'I talked to him for an hour,' I sigh. 'You pretend we're going to start a relationship right away.' I don't even want to look at that big grin on her face, but it's nice to see her so happy, so I do it anyway. 'I think you like him a lot.'

'Ssht!' I exclaim, holding my finger to my mouth. 'He also resides in this hallway! Maybe he'll hear..' I look at the open door of my room. What if he walks by and hears me? 'Maybe he should,' Shiori replies, 'so that he can make the first move, because you don't dare!' I roll my eyes. 'We spoke only once!'

'But it felt good, didn't it?' I can't deny that. I can feel my heart speeding up and my stomach starting to flip. Yes, it felt good. Really good. But maybe he didn't feel it at all. 'You just said my mom told you I went to the meeting,' I continue. Shiori seems to be in two minds about whether to change the subject with me, but then she nods anyway. 'Yes,' she replies. 'I really feel that she has started to see everything in a different light, because of the accident. She told me how shocked she was to learn that so many people didn't make it and that she saw many sad families in the hallways. I really think she's starting to believe that success isn't everything and that she wants the best for you.'

'My father isn't that far yet,' I mumble with a sigh, 'and to be honest, I don't know if that will ever happen.' Shiori nods. 'Just know that you're not alone, dear Kimora. Sato and I will always support you.' I look at the woman who's like a second mother to me and believe her. I feel more and more empowered to tell my parents that I'm going to map out my own future. I know I'm almost there.

'Thank you, Shiori,' I tell her from the bottom of my heart. 'You and Sato have always treated me well. You've always believed in me, so that I can do that myself now.' She gets up and comes over to give me a hug. I also get up and gladly receive it. 'Thank you, dear Kimora,' she says. 'Thanks to you, I'm able to heal.' We look at each other. Hikaru's gone, but her love will always remain.

I look up when I see movement at the door. 'I'm sorry,' Raiden mumbles, 'I could come back some other time..' He wants to continue walking, but I take a step forward and shout, far too quickly: 'No! I mean.. you don't have to.' Shiori gives me a meaningful look, but then realizes that this isn't the boy who's driving my heart crazy. But that doesn't make her happy smile any less. 'I'll be back tomorrow,' she tells me, squeezing my hand. I nod and smile at her gratefully. She takes her coat from the chair and leaves the room.

'You really don't have to brush off your mother's visit to talk to me, you know..' he mumbles as he steps further inside. I'm not going to tell him she's not my mom, because it feels like she is. Of course I have my own mother and I'm increasingly confident that our bond will be restored, but it feels nice when someone refers to Shiori as my mother. I wave it away and look at Raiden.