12. The Aftermath

"Sasuke...," my eyes stared up at him, trees passing above us as he carried me through the dark forest. I coughed weakly, and noticed his ash smudged face and dark serious eyes as he looked down at me.

"Try to stay awake...," his words were faint as I kept fighting sleep. I leaned my head against his arm, looking passed him as I wondered what that glow was, and my heart sank when I caught sight of it. My home, lighting up the dark night sky like a pyre, casting an orange tint on the heavens as the smoke floated into the air.

My hand tightened around something soft and I saw it was the stuffed animal, now covered in grey soot. A small tear streaked down my blackened face. Was this really all that made it?  Was this all I had left?

"You'll be okay...," he sounded so tired and his voice faint as the exhaustion overcame me. It was almost as if he was whispering to himself, "I'll make sure of it."

~~~~At the hospital~~~~

I woke up, the morning sun shining light into my otherwise dark room. I could feel an IV poking into my wrist, and an oxygen mask hugging my face. It took me a moment to remember how I ended up here in the hospital, but when I caught sight of Sasuke sleeping in a chair, his head resting ontop his arm, it all rushed back to me.

He had saved me.

As soon as I shifted in my bed to get more comfortable, his eyes opened slowly and he sat up realizing I was awake. I noticed the look of relief as he rubbed his tired eyes glad I was finally conscious.

"How come you're not in your bed?" I asked almost motherly, referring to his empty bed across from mine.

"I don't need any care. I was only in there for a few minutes. The nurses were just overreacting."

I saw the small patch of bandage on his cheek and frowned, "What happened there?"

He turned away from me slightly not wanting me to stare at it, "It's nothing."

"Come here," I asked frustrated and, reluctantly, he came over to sit next to me. I peeled the bandage back to see a burn taint his flawless pale skin and I felt the anger swell inside me. "You're such an idiot Sasuke," I whispered. "You could have gotten yourself hurt."

Or worse. He could've gotten himself killed. He rolled his eyes knowing this was coming, but he didn't understand. If he would've gotten seriously hurt because of me...the guilt literally would've eaten me alive.

"Stop being so over dramatic. I hardly even got a scratch."

"Well atleast hold still so I can heal it."

He stared at me confused wondering what I could do that the nurses haven't already done. While Kotaro was a maniac that burned my house down, atleast I could say I've definitely learned a thing or two from him. My flames could not only destroy, but could heal as well.

He looked a little startled as I brushed his hair away and gently cupped his cheek. He could feel the intense warmth come from my palm and heard the faint whoosh as green flames engulfed my hand. His eyes closed briefly, and his body relaxed as the flames soothed his burn and eventually began to heal it.

I couldn't help but notice how soft his skin was and how strong his face looked as I stole a peek at him. He had ran into a burning house...just to save me. My heart fluttered as my eyes fell on his parted lips, when suddenly, they began to move. 

"Hm...I've never seen them turn that color before."

My eyes met his and I realized he had been watching me this whole time. He stared into my now purple orchid eyes wondering what they meant, but they only stayed that color for a second longer before changing an embarrassed pink.