25. The Rainbow Eyed Demon

I stood above the town, taking in the lively bustling night time streets. The sound of the towns people, chattering and going about their lives, rang in my ears and the smell of food being cooked below filled my nostrils. I inhaled deeply as the fresh breeze brushed against my face, blowing my hair back as if trying to coax me off the edge I stood on. I immediately took a sip from the canister in my hand, the bitter fiery liquid running down my throat and warming my insides.

I didn't dare open my eyes just yet. I just wanted to see...see if I could feel anything at all positive. Yet the smell of food didn't appeal to me, the feeling of the wind just reminded me how far off the ground I was, and the sound of people chattering below me made me realize how alone I really was. The only feeling I welcomed was the numbing of the alcohol, but even that couldn't stop her whispers.

I sighed helplessly at Okami's incessant voice in my head, which then only prompted me to take another swig of my drink with the intent to drown her out. Sometimes, alcohol was the only thing that eased this madness, but tonight...tonight was a particularly bad night.

Hunt.                              Blood.                                     Thirst.

                    Feed.                                      Hunt.                                                  Kill.

                                         Thirst.

Her cravings were filling my mind to the brim. They weren't even whispers to me anymore. More like demanding screams. 

My breathing was unsteady as I felt my foot near the edge of the rooftop...Sometimes this felt like the only way out. The only way to stop this unquenchable thirst that drove me to this point. No one would care. No one would even know who I was. Hell, I didn't even know who I was anymore.

"Just hold on...just...one more night," I whispered to myself, opening my eyes to see the glittering stars scattered above me and the town.

"No. No more holding on." Okami's growl was intense and crazed.

I scowled internally, "I wasn't talking to you."

That is what I had to tell myself. I don't know why it worked...I don't know what one more night existing would change, but it's gotten me through nights like this. I smirked sadly, my incandescent blue eyes taking in the full milky white moon.

"Ok," I let out a reluctant sigh, "Let's finally hunt."

~~~

Is murder really wrong if it was a criminal that died? Not just any criminal, like, someone who truly deserved to die because of the many terrible acts they did. There is an abundance of criminals in this world, so who would miss them when some happened to disappear? Of course...they never disappeared for long. Shinobi of the law always had the pleasure of finding and cleaning up whatever was left of them. Ha, what could I say? I was a messy hunter. 

I suppose however, that would make me just as much of a monster as them eh? But I won't deny what I am. I came to terms with what I was the day I left the Hidden Leaf Village three years ago. This thirst I felt constantly, the thirst that drove me to the edge of the rooftop I stood on not too long ago, belonged to a demon. Even so, hunting these criminals helped me keep a sliver of whatever humanity I had left, for at least I wasn't hunting randomly.

A hand sliding across my waist pulled me out of my thoughts just as a handsome grin reared into view.

"Hey there, you seem lost." His voice was smooth and his breath smelled faintly of liquor masked by mint. Of course I knew he had been drinking, I've been following him for hours. Of all the bodies that left the secluded club and walked the dimly lit streets, his was the one I wanted. My prey.