27. Far From Gone

There I sat on my knees in the middle of a room, somewhere in what was the Akatsuki hideout. I no longer felt the blue silvery chakra cuffs cutting into my skin like wire. Not even Pein's words were breaking through, even though he stood directly in front of me, his purple ringed eyes looking down at me as he spoke. I was in my own little world at the moment. Her presence overwhelmed me and what swarmed my head was its hunger...it was drowning me.

"Tell me. Tell me the desire that drives you in this life."

God, was it gnawing away at my insides. All I wanted to do was hunt. All I want to see is that lovely red color spill, because only that would chase this feeling away. This yearning was literally painful, the equivalent to my skin being peeled off slowly. The thirst was like wandering through the hot desert sandlands, having nothing to drink or wash down the burning, sun heated sand that coated the insides of my throat.

"Very well ... if you do not wish to cooperate, I have no use for you."

My eye noticed Itachi tensing ever so slightly amongst the herd of black cloaks. I hate them. The Akatsuki. I hated every single last one of them. If they had not come into my life ...

"Hidan." Pein jerked his chin in my direction, turning his back to me.

If they had not stopped me just before I was going to take that man's life - before I slit his fucking throat ...

"AhAha piece of cake. I'm almost insulted at how easy this is going to be."

I would not be feeling this pain...

Faint footsteps sounded in the background, but I paid no mind, too enveloped in the slow deafening red that was eclipsing my mind. I felt her; Okami, awaken with greedy, thirsty, rage inside me.
I cried out, my voice echoing throughout the cold stone room as she began to seep out of me visibly, black liquidy shadows curling out from my body.

Pein immediately stopped in his tracks, sensing this new aura emerging from me. The leader turned around with calculating eyes, examining the blackness that danced dangerously around me, knowing full well that getting closer was not wise. Yet Hidan was too sucked into the rush of the kill to stop his attack in time.

"All I want, is to stop this pain from eating me alive," I whispered to him, the dark shadows eating away at the chakra cuffs that bound me, thus freeing me, "Is that the answer you're looking for?" My crazed gold and ember colored eyes locked onto the white haired Akatsuki member that was closing the space between us.

You. I choose you.

It was not because he was wielding a three bladed scythe and preparing to attack ... no ... My eyes locked onto him hungrily, because he was the closest moving body to me.

"Wahhhooo!" Hidan leaped into the air, holding his weapon high, preparing to swing down on me, yet my crazed smile stayed plastered on my face. Congrats, you're the lucky one that's going to take this pain away!

Then it happened, just like every other time, her darkness consumed me and my vision blackened as she took control. It was in that moment she and I were almost one, but not entirely. Someone always had to have the higher pedestal, it was just how it worked. Okami took the wheel, mentally shoving me aside as I was no longer able to hold control over my own body. I briefly met Itachi's gaze before going under. His facial expression was different from what he usually wore. The cold indifference was gone as he willed me with his eyes to stop. Yet there was no stopping her, not at this point.

Whatever happens next, Itachi, it's out of my control now.

~~~Itachi's POV~~~

"Very well, you've never given me any reason to doubt your judgement before. Yet she cannot be one of us if she cannot control whatever it is inside her. Next time she might tear apart someone who doesn't happen to be immortal. I'll give you two weeks." With that, Pein walked away, leaving me at the entrance of the holding room where Akira was.
I pressed my hand against the stone entrance, releasing the jutsu that sealed the room momentarily, so I could enter. This was a special holding room, designed to keep our most unique and difficult prisoners in containment. After witnessing what Akira had inside her, it was the best place for her to be at the moment.

She was already awake, sitting up waiting for me to enter. The room lights dimly illuminated her body, dressed in shorts, and a shirt that was perhaps two sizes too big for her. The dress she was wearing when we had captured her was not only torn to shreds, but covered in Hidan's blood. For someone who couldn't die, she sure made him bleed a lot.
However, I noticed the difference in her appearance immediately. Her once sickly and dull face appeared glowing and healthy, and her presence no longer compared to a crazed rabid dog.

Her cautious, yellow, daisy-colored eyes watched me closely as I sealed the room shut. She spoke her next words without a hint of fear, but with more of a solid conviction. "You're going to kill me, aren't you?"

My sharingan eyes watched her body language carefully. She brought her knees up to her chest, staring down at her bare feet and running her fingers along the edge of the bed she sat on. "I'm alive. And I've got to tell you I feel like...I'm on ecstasy. I haven't killed someone in months. But that means I just killed one of your own, which is why you're going to kill me."

She tensed, drawing her body backwards slightly as I approached her, standing mere feet in front of where she sat. I met her eyes, "No. For now at least, you will be fine."

She seemed almost surprised that I gave her a straight forward answer, but raised her eyebrow quizzically. "For now?"
I paused thoughtfully, wondering how I should word it so my point would get across that she wasn't safe just yet.

"Two weeks," I began, "I have two weeks to break you of your...habit. You can not be one of us if we feel you can turn on anyone of the Akatsuki out of sheer blood lust."

Her delicate eyebrows furrowed and I knew the moment she opened her mouth she was going to object, "You know, I never took you to be an idiot Itachi."

The corner of my mouth nearly turn upwards in the tiniest of smirks at the mouth this girl had. I didn't remember her being this way when we were younger. Or at least never towards me.

"I don't remember ever saying I wanted any part of the Akatsuki! Not only that, but it's useless...you might as well kill me now." Her angry eyes softened slightly, shifting off to the side, as if she was looking back at some point in her life, "You can't change me. I've been living this way for the past three years now. I'm far from gone."

So...she's lost her resolve. I wonder how she ended up so influenced by her demon in the first place? My eyes trailed from her face to her bare neck and that was when I realized something. "Where is your necklace?"

Such a simple question but it caught her off guard. Her slender fingers brushed her collarbone grasping at the empty space where her necklace used to sit. She looked away from me, flustered.
"I...I lost it. A long time ago...before I even left the village." It seemed she was lying. Or at least not telling me the whole truth. "Why would you ask me that?"

I frowned kneeling in front of her so we were on eye level. "That necklace wasn't just some gift your brother gave you. It was a special piece of jewelry that helped keep that demon inside you in check. It's no surprise to me now why you've gotten this bad."

She sat silent, letting my words process, "How come my brother never told me about her?" She placed her hand on the area of her chest where her heart sat underneath, referring to the demon inside.

I stood up turning my back on her, thinking silently to myself. Her brother Kai knew since the day she was born what she had inside her. After all he was the Anbu tasked with watching her and keeping her under the radar. There was so much she still didn't know...but it wasn't my job nor my place to tell her.

She became frantic as I made my way towards the entrance of the room getting ready to leave and prepare. "W-wait! What is the plan now? What am I supposed to do in here?"

"You're going to be in this room until I can trust you have it under control." My voice was clipped and cold, my personality reverting back to what I normally showed people.

She stood up her eyes a burning red as I walked out the entrance, the stone slowly shutting her in behind me. "This is useless! I went months without killing a damn person and it changed NOTHING! What makes you think two weeks in this place will fix me?"

The stone sealed shut, muffling her angry shouts. "I know," I whispered quietly, acknowledging her words.