19. Animal Inside

Sasuke's POV:

My dark onyx eyes rested on Akira's troubled contemplating face from afar as she stared sadly at the ground. She stood away from Kakashi, Naruto, Sakura and I, strangely keeping her distance amongst the rows of people standing clothed in nothing but black. Rain drops trickled from the dark sky as if mourning for those that had died during the attack on the Leaf Village; the Hokage being one of the many. So here were stood in silence, paying our respect.

Soon, as the memorial came to a close and the crowd began to disperse, I found myself searching for her.

"Sasuke," I heard Sakura's voice behind me, but didn't bother turning to face her, my eyes still scanning for Akira. "Thank you, for saving me from Gaara."

"I didn't save you. He did." As much as it irked me, I had to give credit where credit was due as my eyes focused on Naruto who stood speaking with Kakashi. Everyone had their story of where they were the day of the attack. What worried me was Akira's story...

"I'm sure she's ok, Sasuke," Sakura said with a sad expression on her face, knowing Akira was on my mind even as I spoke to her. 

Maybe she was...but my gut instinct was telling me something was wrong. If the rumors were true, then there was no way she was "ok". She had been discharged from the infirmary today with no apparent injuries aside from the fact that she hadn't spoken a word since they found her sitting in shock, covered in blood surrounded by the bodies of atleast 20 enemy ninja.

I can't imagine what happened to her, but there was no way someone was coming out of that emotionally unscathed. 

"I'm out of here," I said, disappearing before Sakura could speak another word.

~~~

The door to my apartment was left slightly ajar, telling me she was here. I entered stealthily, trying to hide my presence as I followed the noise of drawers opening and closing in my room. I spotted her through the crack in the door holding something shiny and silver in her palm before hesitantly shoving it in her weapons pouch. She then resumed taking her clothes out and setting them to the side, her mind so absorbed in her thoughts that she didn't even notice me standing in the doorway.

"I just...I just need to leave for a little while," she sighed helplessly running her hand through her long black hair.

I felt a sharp sting in my chest as I heard those words but quickly made my presence known, "Who are you talking to?"

She gasped dropping the shirt in her hands, spinning to face me as if she had just been caught red handed doing something she wasn't supposed to be doing.

"S-Sasuke...," her pale yellow eyes stared up at me in surprise before she looked away, not being able to hold my gaze.

Her eyes shot passed me as if someone was there and I scanned the room searching for anyone else, but it seemed she was alone. So there we stood, in silence, her small body pressed against the dresser trying to create as much space in between us as possible. This was the first time I've seen her since...since the chunin exams; and this was most likely her first time seeing me in quite a while too. Not once was her name on the visitors list when I was in the hospital.

Which only proved one thing.

"Tsch, you really do hate me, huh?" There was a cold smirk on my face as my hair fell over my eyes hiding them from her.

"What?" She quickly shook her head taking a few steps closer to me, hand reaching out to touch me when, she froze.

She stared at her outstretched hand slowly bringing it back against her chest shakily. Why wouldn't she touch me? It was almost like she was scared to.