14. The Chunin Exams

I grunted falling to my knees both weak and tired. My hand tremored as I clutched my sword close to me, ready to defend myself against another one of his blows.

Kotaro clicked his tongue in dissapproval, "You're still too weak. You're half demon for crying outloud. Why am I not seeing you use that to your advantage?"

"Because," I panted, "If all I did was rely on the abilities Okami has given me, then in my eyes I'm not worthy of being a ninja."

"Noble, but that idiotic thinking will only get you killed. Or even worse...your teammates killed; and you don't want that now, do you?"

I shook my head feeling a protective fire burn inside me at the mere thought of my team in danger. He knelt in front of me taking my chin roughly and staring into my eyes mockingly.

"You hate me...I can tell. Now let me see some of that hatred and just maybe you'll prove you're not a big waste of my time."

I growled at the sound of his voice in my head. Ever since our contract had been sealed, he was everywhere. In my head. In my thoughts. It was almost like there was no escape from him aside from distance. But since I was not allowed to distance myself from him, he never went away. It was almost like having another demon inside me to fend off...

I laughed sharply, my now demon red eyes hidden by my hair, "You want to see my hatred for you?" Four dark shadow tails emerged from the backside of my body, flicking dangerously, one even cutting through a thick oak tree like butter. My canines now poked out from the smile that spread across my face, "Well, you asked for it!"

I launched myself at him, my shadow tails barreling towards him like spears, each one destroying the ground they hit as he swiftly dodged them. He laughed maniacally as he moved at a blinding speed just to try and avoid my tails, "Yes! Beautiful. This is what I have been waiting to see!"

In the end we both stood facing eachother, surrounded by the chaos of our fight. The trees around us had been burned to the ground and the ground beneath us was scattered with craters from the impact of our attacks. I had fought him with all the rage I could muster and as a result I was completely exhausted, but as I saw the gaping hole in his stomach, I knew I had won this fight.

Being a demon, he acted as if the gaping hole was a mere scratch, but never before have I been able to lay a finger on him...until today.

"You're ready..." his voice whispered in my head.

~~~

"I'm ready...," I repeated to myself silently as we walked passed Kakashi to enter those doors that would begin our journey that was the chunin exams. Sasuke, Sakura, Naruto and Kotaro (wolf form) flanked me on either side.

"I wish you guys the best of luck. You're the best team I could've ever asked for." Kakashi had said before watching his team 7 genin walk towards those doors.

We'll try and make you proud Kakashi sensei. Hopefully by the end of this, we all will have become chunin.

"Let's just hope by the end of this, you'll all still be breathing," Kotaro's pessimistic voice whispered.

I glared down at him, pressing my hand against the door. "You're being over dramatic."

I mean, how hard could this be? Kakashi wouldn't push us into this if he knew we weren't ready, right?

I was stronger now, both physically and mentally. So needless to say, I felt confident going into this exam...that was until I pushed open those doors to see the faces of hundreds of dangerous looking ninja. I could feel the disbelief run through my teammates as we stared over the sea of genin who looked about as friendly as a snarling dog.