22. Watch Me Make You Hate Me

Akira's POV:

"No," I thought frantically, tearing through the forests that surrounded the village, "This couldn't be happening!" He was leaving...How could he leave? How could he leave without saying goodbye?

Kotaro was the first to break the news to me of Sasuke's abandoning of the village. 

At first I thought it was some joke he was pulling, but when I encountered Sakura at the village gates, her face had said it all. The tears that brewed in her emerald eyes didn't lie as she apologized for not being able to talk him out of leaving. 

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry," she sobbed, "I couldn't stop him from leaving, but...Naruto will bring Sasuke home. He has to." She stared out towards the horizon, casting a silent hopeful prayer. I was gone before she had even finished her sentence, taking off in the direction Naruto's recovery team had gone. 

Anger bubbled inside me as my sharingan eyes tracked them down. How could no one think to tell me of this? How could they not include me? This wasn't just a recovery mission to me. This was Sasuke. My Sasuke...and I had to be there to bring him back if the others failed.

~~~After Sasu/Naru Battle~~~

I hesitated to step out, the rain falling from the dark sky, pitter-patting against the leaves of the tree I stood under. Beyond this tree and at the edge of the waterfall, stood Sasuke who loomed over the body of Naruto. He had done it. He had taken out Naruto. I stood there, questioning who he really was. Questioning what had pushed him to the point he would hurt his own comrades?

Of course I knew why...he and I had always shared this latent understanding that, even though he may not always bring it up, he was constantly striving to better himself for the day he came face to face with Itachi again. Striving to become stronger so he could exact his revenge. Our revenge. But was this truly worth it all?

I took a deep breath, gathering the courage to confront him, when his voice broke through the peaceful sound of the rain fall. 

"Whoever you are, come out. I don't have time f-," Sasuke's words died as soon as he recognized my face as I stepped into the clearing.

Surprise, anger, and sadness plastered his porcelain face for a brief second, before he regained his composure, staring at me coldly. Anger brimmed underneath his cold exterior as he realized Kotaro's promises were as fake as his act.  

"Akira. You shouldn't be here."

"Sasuke," my voice betrayed me, breaking the slightest bit, "Why, Sasuke?"

He stayed silent, averting his gaze from my now azure blue eyes. He couldn't look at me. My eyes were by far the saddest blue he's ever seen, and just one look and he could tell my heart was breaking inside. 

I glanced down at Naruto's unconcious body, hoping he was okay, and then noticed Sasuke's headband laying next to him, the rain sliding down the silver plating. To anyone who didn't live by the ninja way, it would've been just a head band with the Konoha emblem on it, but to us...it symbolized our alliance and loyalty to our village, our people...our comrades. 

I lowered my eyes, obscuring my face with my bangs, desperately trying to hide the tears that threatened to break loose. I swallowed the lump in my throat, before whispering my plea, "Please Sasuke...pick up your headband...and let's go home, where there are people that actually care about you."

"This is not my home anymore, Akira. It never was. My home was destroyed by the very person I called 'brother'."

"You don't need to do this Sasuke," I cried, "I know you want power, but there has to be another way. You can't go to Orochimaru! He's no good for you. Revenge is no good for anyone in the end!"