24. So Long

It's body flailed underneath me, the doe frantically trying to get away, but with a quick cut of my kunai, I watched mesmerized as her blood pooled onto the forest grass. The dirt settled around us as she stopped kicking, the life fading from its eyes. The excitement rushing through me was soon gone as the deer's body became cold and stiff, the sun dancing around on its no longer heaving tan belly.

"Dammit...," I sighed frustrated, getting on my feet, "It wasn't enough."

This was my fourth deer kill today and I still wasn't satisfied. It was fair to say my urges to hunt have been overwhelming lately, there was no ignoring them.

"More." Okami demanded hungrily.

That's all it ever wanted was more, more, more. "No, that's enough for today. Four is enough," I whispered back, trying to suppress the urge to keep going.

"It seems we have an intruder," she cautioned.

I slowly turned around, spotting Kakashi leaned against a tree, watching me curiously. Dammit. How long had he been watching me? Whatever. Just keep cool, it's not like I was doing anything wrong.

My cold expression immediately melted into a false smile as I waved to him, "Kakashi sensei, I didn't notice you there!"

"Can we hunt this one?"

"No." I hissed sternly. It wasn't until I noticed Kakashi sensei's raised eyebrows that I realized I had spoken to Okami outloud.

"I didn't say anything." Suspicion laced his words.

I laughed nervously trying to recover from my outburst, "Uh, oh really? Sorry, I thought I heard you ask me something." The awkward silence stretched between us for a few moments before I became impatient.

"What do you want...sensei?" I asked clipped before adding on a 'sensei' to prevent myself from sounding too rude.

Of course he could see right through my act. I felt like everyone could. Even Sakura and Naruto...Which is why I've avoided them, or tried to at least, since the fall out at the hospital.

"You know why I'm here."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "I shouldn't have to go. Trials are for criminals...and I'm not a criminal."

"Well I have orders from the hokage herself to have you escorted to the council room. So if you're done killing off all the local wild life, I think it's in your best interest to come with me. If you did nothing wrong you should have nothing to worry about then."

He seemed sorry to be the one to have to do this, but I suppose Lady Tsunade made it his duty to see to it that I arrive at the next trial. The first trial was a surprise to me. I had been called into her council room and then one after another I was forced to answer her questions. Apparently I was under investigation...for what? I had no clue, but I shouldn't have to justify myself to anyone.

I could feel Okami become aggitated. We didn't like being told what to do just as much as we liked being interrogated.

"And what if," I mused, my gaze growing cold and steely, "I refuse to go with you?"

He blinked surprised for a moment, wondering silently if I had really just challenged him?

I smirked daringly, knowing it would be interesting to see if he could force me to go. It would be exciting to say the least; a challenge unlike these mindless animals I've been hunting, but...he was my sensei after all.

I laughed lightly as if I had just been joking this entire time, "I'm kidding. Well let's go already." I walked passed him scowling as soon as my facial expression was out of his line of sight, "We can't keep her 'majesty' waiting."