37. If A Guy Breaks Your Heart, Just Use The Anger to Fight Monsters

"She's a damn monster!"

"Father, stop this now! You're scaring her!"

Akira, only 7, sat huddled in the darkness of the closet, her eyes squeezed shut as she prayed silently that her drunken father wouldn't swing those doors open and drag her out. There was a crash as he flipped the kitchen table over hoping she was under there, but only became angrier upon discovery that she was not.

"COME OUT! Come out of hiding you fucking demon!" her father's slurred words only frightened her further.

Her older brother, Kai, pleaded desperately with him to stop his drunken rage. "She's only a child. You can't keep hurting her like this! I'm not going to let you. Mother would-."

There was a loud slap as his father turned and hit him and, for a moment, the house was silent. Kai stood still, staring at the floor with quiet angry eyes as he restrained himself from striking back.

"You. You think because you're in the Anbu Black Ops you can suddenly speak back to me now eh? Haha sorry to break it to ya, but you're still shit at the bottom of the garbage pile son, right along with your old man! And don't you dare bring your mother into this! THAT MONSTER IS THE ONE THAT KILLED HER!"

There was a muffled sob as father blinked back tears that fell from his glazed blood shot eyes.

"We couldn't have anymore kids for years. It tore your mother and I apart, we didn't even speak to each other! Then suddenly she becomes pregnant with that...that THING! She died the day that monster decided to come up from hell into our world. Now....," Akira's heart quickened as she heard father's footsteps come closer to the closet, "I'm going to make it feel just like home for you."

Akira's eyes widened in horror as the doors were suddenly yanked open, light spilling in just before she was violently dragged out by her father yelling, "I'LL MAKE IT A REAL HELL ON EARTH JUST FOR YOU!"

Akira woke her self up with a scream that seemed to ring in her ears long after she realized she wasn't back in that house anymore. No, she was in her room, at the Akatsuki hideout. Her father was dead. She killed him a very long time ago. He's gone...but then why the hell could she still hear his damn voice?! Why was she having these dreams?

                                               Monster...

MONSTER                                                              MONSTER

                                                      MoNsTER

It was a mixture of voices. Father's, Okami's, Itachi's...Sasuke's. Ugh, she felt sick, her head spinning, overloaded by the multitude of voices in her head. She stumbled out of the bed, trying to scramble her way to the bathroom sink and making it just in time as she vomited nothing but stomach acid. Running the cold water, she splashed her face hoping to regain her bearings. As her blurry vision began to finally focus, she found herself looking at her reflection and with such hatred towards herself, she muttered the word, "Monster."

The water had awaken her senses and as a result the voices were only louder. What could she do? All she wanted to do was make them stop. She didn't want to feel this anymore. She needed something, anything, to distract herself. Her eyes desperately searched her surroundings until they settled on her nightstand. She dropped to her knees in front of it, staring intently at the drawer, knowing what was hidden inside, hidden under her clothes, and she knew very well how well it numbed her...but did she really want to run back to that?