33. Do You Really Hate Me?

"Where the hell is Itachi? How could he just disappear for a whole day? Do you know where he went, Kisame?" I complained upon our discovery of the empty inn room.

"Hm, all he told me was that he was following up on a lead and he'd be back later. Oh and he told me to make sure you didn't run away." Kisame added, sighing as he took his sword off his back, leaning it gently against the wall. "To be honest, it seemed he was in a hurry to leave. He was being really quiet too, making sure we didn't wake you up."

My face burned at Kisame's words. I was thinking it earlier, but Kisame's words only confirmed it. Itachi was avoiding me.

"That's the last time I ever-," I muttered indignantly, covering my face in frustration. Glancing at my hand, I realized that that stupid binding jutsu was still active. I held my wrist out angrily to Kisame. "Take this off now!" I demanded.

He only chuckled taking my wrist in his hands. "So...what happened between you two last night?" he asked nosily with a smirk on his pale blue face. "You seem angry with him...but the way you were cuddled up next to him this morning tells me a different story."

My eyes widened in horror, "I-I was not cuddled up next to him...I was just cold probably!"

"After three years of luring in criminals so you could hunt, I would have thought you would be better at lying. Yet, the truth is so clearly plastered on your face...," Kisame snickered as he released the jutsu that chained me to him, "You love him."

My eyes shifted from pink to red as I felt my temper flare. Why did I feel the need to defend myself? There was no way in hell I could love him! No. No NO. He was wrong. Exasperated, I took a step towards Kisame so that he and I were face to face. I even found myself standing on the tips of my toes so that I could try and appear more intimidating by closing the obvious gap in our height even by just a little bit.

"You," I pointed my finger up at him, "don't know what the hell you're talking about! There's no way I could ever l-l--!" I stumbled on my words. I couldn't even utter the word love out loud. I scrambled for the right words in order to rebuild my resolve.

"I hate him!"

The room was dead silent for a second before Kisame's mildly surprised expression disappeared with a small smirk. He gently pushed my pointed finger away from his face.

"Oh...you hate him, huh?" It was at that moment he turned his gazed passed me, towards the door, "Ha you hear that Itachi? She hates you."

My face paled, and my heart sunk at the realization that Itachi had entered the room the very moment I yelled those last words. I turned slowly to face him, but I dared not meet his gaze. Instead I kept them trained to floor, wishing at the moment that someone would kill me.

Itachi's dark obsidian eyes shifted slowly from me to Kisame. Much to my relief, he seemed to completely disregard what he just heard, cutting straight to business.

"Toyonashi will be at the docks tonight," Itachi spoke calmly, "We will be leaving soon to prepare to intercept him before he leaves by boat."

"Hey, how'd you find out? We came back just to tell you the same thing. Turns out the idiot let it slip to the owner at the weapon's shop as he was trying to pawn off that sword of ours," Kisame said, disappointed at the fact he couldn't tell him about Toyonashi first.

"Seems he's been sloppy." Itachi commented, staring at Kisame clearly thinking that it seemed suspicious that they had both gotten the same information. For someone on the run, Toyonashi sure wasn't taking many precautions to hide what his next move would be.

"You trust it?" Kisame asked.

"We don't have much of a choice. The worst case scenario is, we don't go and we let him escape. If it is a ruse, you and I can handle a few random mercenaries."