Chapter 4

The doorbell rang, I suddenly got nervous and my hands started sweating.

Don’t be so nervous, he’s just your friend. I tried to calm myself as I made my way to the door.

I took a deep breath, and opened the door. Hoping my cheeks weren’t exposing my nervousness.

Okay, not gonna lie. He looked super fit.

“Hey Jesse!” He stepped in and gave me a massive hug.

“Hey Niall. How are you?”

He shoved his hands in his pockets. “I’m pretty good, quite hungry actually!”

I laughed at his reply, good thing I prepared for him.

“I thought you’d say that.” I turned around and gestured toward the table full of snacks. His eyes widened when he saw the wide array of food, totally at a loss for words.

“That’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.”

He walked over and picked up a bag of crisps, cradling it like a baby.

I giggled. Classic Niall.

“While you’re making out with the food, I’m going to pop in The Notebook.”

I opened the DVD player, inserting the film and plopping onto the couch. Niall soon joined me with a handful of popcorn and sweets, sitting alarmingly close I might add.

Throughout the movie, Niall would make small moves; like putting his leg next to mine so they were touching, or making cheeky comments just so I would look at him. I had to admit, it was different having one of your best friends all of a sudden fancying you, but he wasn’t being obnoxious or cocky, just the Niall I always knew to be.

At this point I was getting in a bit of a cuddling mood, and since Niall was throwing little hints to me, I thought I’d reward him.

I scooted closer to him, putting my head on his shoulder and tucking my legs in. At first he seemed surprised, but he soon reacted by putting his arm around me, smirking subtly.

I felt his gaze on me, but I acted like I didn’t notice and turned my attention back to the film.

Unfortunately, I had made the dumb choice of picking the film that never failed to make me cry. I’m an ugly crier and it’s not the most attractive thing to do on a date.

 Actually it’s just not attractive at all.

I tried to give myself little pep talks to distract my mind, but it was hard for me to trick myself.

Soon, I felt my lip start to quiver, tears threatening to spill down my face.

Don’t you dare cry.

Don’t you dare cry.

Too late.

Tears slowly began to run down my cheeks, dripping onto the couch. I tried not to make a sound, but that proved to be impossible.

I tried to covertly wipe my cheeks, making a small whimpering sound.

Niall noticed and looked down at me worriedly.

“What’s the matter, love?”

I laughed lightly, wiping my tear stained cheeks. Even though more were coming down in the process.

“Sorry, I’m such a sap. I always cry during this film.”

He stopped me, cupping my face and brushing away the tears with his thumbs.

“Don’t apologize.”

He looked deeply into my eyes, smiling.

“Who knew someone could look so beautiful crying?”

His words caught me by surprise, making me blush and look away. No one had made me feel this special in a long time.

“Oh please, you could a lot better.”

Because the truth was, he could. There were plenty of girls who are much prettier than me that would be happy to be with him.

He shook his head and laughed.

“You really don’t get it do you? Jesse, you’re all I can ever think about. You may think you’re not good enough or pretty enough, but the truth is; you’re all I could ever ask for. You’re perfect to me.”

I looked into his eyes, seeing the truth in everything he just confessed. Completely at a loss for words.

“Niall, I-I don’t know what say.” I covered my face with my hands, but he pulled them away; replacing them with his.

Niall smirked. “I was hoping you wouldn’t.”

With his hands still cupping my face, he leaned in, capturing my lips. I slowly took him in.

His lips were soft and sweet, just like him.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me. His lips went slow at first, making sure I was okay with it, before going deeper. If I said I wasn’t enjoying it, I would be lying.

There was something about the kiss that made it unique than any other I’ve had. There were no fireworks or any igniting sparks like they always say in books and films. But there was such shear blissfulness, like we were in our own world, that I never wanted to end.

Not wanting it to go any further, I pulled away. I could see in his expression that he must’ve been thinking the same thing as me, but all he could say summed up my feelings too.

“Wow.”