Chapter 23

*Song is She Is Love by Parachute*

HARRY’S POV

Jesse and I were sitting on the sofa, doing some calculus homework and listening to Ed Sheeran on the radio, when I heard a knock on the door.

“I got it.” I said, setting my books down and walking over to open the door. I wasn’t expecting anyone, but I was used to the lads showing up at my house unexpectedly. It was probably Louis since Liam was meeting up with Zayn and a girl he met on Monday while he got his tattoo; he couldn’t stop talking about her all day. Said she was one of the prettiest girls he’d ever seen in his life, he barely knew her but apparently he chatted her up and now they were meeting up again. I think her name was Julia or something.

When I turned the metal doorknob and swung the door open, my heart stopped. I was pretty sure my eyes were just deceiving me, because I didn’t think Niall would be standing right in front of me, a mixed expression on his face.

I couldn’t say anything. I wanted to, but the words were stuck in my throat like peanut butter. It was now Friday, and we hadn’t spoken since Sunday, all week Niall had avoided us both at all costs. He talked to the other boys, but he wouldn’t even look at us, and when he did they were little hateful glares that were quick and small but sent so many messages.

And now he decided to show up at my doorstep unannounced.

“Hi.” Niall said firmly, almost like he had planned it.

“H-Hi Niall.”

Why was I stuttering? And why was my voice so hoarse and quiet? Probably because the idea of Niall coming here only to pummel me rolled through my mind. He was a small guy, but he was strong nonetheless.

“Can I come in?” he gestured toward the open door; he was acting like we were strangers and it made me feel weird. He’s never been so formal with me and I couldn’t even answer his question with words, just nodded my head and mumbled something as I stepped back to let him in. I looked over at Jesse; she had noticed Niall walk in and had the same vexed expression as I did on her face.

Niall looked around for a second like it was his first time here, after a second he spotted Jesse sitting in the living room and gave her a small wave and smile. “Hey Jesse.”

She held her hand up hesitantly, like this was all a prank. “Hey Niall.”

Jesse and I kept exchanging looks, thinking we were sneaky enough for Niall to not notice but after a moment he of course did. He sighed and ran his hands through his hair, his calm expression turning to one of frustration.

“Stop looking at each other like that! You’re making me feel like an idiot for coming here!” He snaps, shaking his head. “Look, Liam practically forced me to come over here and talk to you guys, so can we just get this over with?”

He looked like he didn’t want to be here at all, but I know that Liam can have a very persuasive attitude which obviously sent him here.

“Um, well then. We can go sit in the living room if you want?” I offered, feeling a bit unsure of what to do. Niall’s feet followed me back to where Jesse and I were previously sitting, except he made himself comfortable on the couch across from us as I cleared out all the calculus books and worksheets.

For a few moments we kind of just sat there, not knowing what to say or what to do. Niall’s pink cheeks were flushed like a million things were running through his mind, and he was looking down at his hands. He quickly lifted up his head and decided to speak, his voice showing no emotion.

“Why’d you do it?”

His interrogating blue eyes flipped between Jesse and I. It was a question we couldn’t really answer because there was a lot behind the reason we started this whole thing. I had already loved Jesse for so long, so this answer was more in her hands since it was her decision to make a move on me first.