Chapter 10

FREAKING EMOTIONAL CHAPTER

After Anne had left to get me ready to go back to their house, Harry and I sat and talked while nurses checked my stability and how I would manage getting out of the hospital this early, they thought it was crazy the doctor let me go home when I had just been admitted, even if it was the holiday season.

When the time came to finally leave, I changed into a pair of Harry’s joggers and his t-shirt that his mum brought when she came by; I wasn’t going to change back into the same clothes I almost died in. The nurses wheeled me out of the hospital with Harry by my side, handing me a piece of paper with my prescription and things I should and shouldn’t do so I can heal quicker before dismissing me. I could tell they were very reluctant to let me go, but I always handled pain very well and that was the one thing I was counting on.

I threw my right arm around Harry (A/N: Just to remind you, Jesse’s left arm has a cast and sling on it!) gritting my teeth from both the pain and the biting winter cold, before making an attempt to walk with him to his black BMW. My eyes wandered to his face, his expression was twisted and I could see hurt in his eyes; like he was enduring the pain instead of me. His hands gripped my waist keeping me up, our steps slow and cautious.

Harry’s eyes caught mine and he shook his head, curls flopping around with it. “I can’t let you walk the rest of the way, it hurts me to see you like this.” In one motion, I felt his strong arms pick me up with ease, at the same time making sure he didn’t hurt me.

“Harry you don’t have to-“I tried to protest, shivering at the cold air.

“Shh. You know this is better than walking.” He shot back; I rolled my eyes at his stubbornness. Even though he was right, I really didn’t want to walk the rest of the way.

Harry quickly whipped out his keys, clicking the “Unlock” button and opening the passenger door, setting me on the seat carefully. He reached over to put my seatbelt on but I quickly grabbed his hand. “Harry, I’m not paralyzed. I can put my own damn seatbelt on.” I smiled and laughed, quickly regretting the action as the pain in my ribs intensified.

I rolled my head back and let out shaky breaths, eyes closed as I clutched the upper part of my stomach. I felt Harry reach over and click my seatbelt into place, “Stubbornness never gets you anywhere.” Harry chuckled as he shut my door, making his way over to the driver’s side and hopping in. I crossed my arms over my chest and scowled at him.

He just poked my cheek, chuckling as he said, “C’mon don’t get all pouty, it’s Christmas time!” and pulled out of the parking lot.

***

Harry switched off the car as we pulled up to his house, the sound of Hunter Hayes’ smooth voice quickly getting cut off. Harry jumped out of the car and ran over to my side to help me out; I unbuckled my seatbelt as I felt him try to scoop me up.

“No, let me walk. It’s not that far.” I snapped a bit harshly, but it seemed to get across to him. He stepped back and held out his hand to which I gladly took, pulling myself up and feeling his arm wrap around my waist again.

It quickly reminded me of Niall’s soft touch, and my heart ached for him. I wish I could go back to earlier today where we lay on the couch together; fingers intertwined as we talked and talked for hours. Where I was happy just lying in his arms.

It had to be about 10:30 or so because it was dark and still, everybody’s lights were off leaving only the street lamps to emanate a slight glow across the street. I carefully watched my steps and took slow breaths, not wanting to feel any more pain come from my ribs.