Chapter 21

*Song for this chapter is Torn by One Direction :) Enjoy xx*

JESSE’S POV

Niall’s feet moved across the carpet floor, eyes burning and wide as he charged Harry; who was struggling to grab his boxers and slip them on his body. I screamed for Niall to stop.

“WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!”

 Niall’s voice was angry and thick, like he was trying to hold back tears but at the same time having anger and hate pump through his veins. I opened my mouth to speak, but all that came out was sputters of words, and Harry was too frazzled with Niall hovering over him; fists clenched with every intention to use them.

“Niall, please, just hear us out…” Harry tried to calm Niall down and slowly got up, hands out so he could block a punch if it ever came to him. His eyes slid over to mine momentarily, a look of fear in them. We both knew there was no hope of Niall listening to us say lies, we were caught and there was nothing we could do about it.

“NO!” Niall roared. I winced at the loudness to his voice; I’ve never seen him so angry in my life. “HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME, BOTH OF YOU?! HOW COULD YOU GO BEHIND MY BACK AND DO SOMETHING SO FUCKING CRUEL?!” His face was getting red, knuckles turning white as his eyes looked at the both of standing next to each other. I still had the blanket around my body to cover it, tears already wetting my cheeks with guilt.

“We never meant to hurt you, Niall…” I choked out, my voice sounded small and cowardly like a lost puppy. I was trembling slightly and my chest felt tight.

“OH REALLY? IF YOU NEVER MEANT TO HURT ME THAN WHY DID I HAVE TO CATCH YOU TWO FUCKING?!”

I was quiet after he said this, because when I heard somebody say those words I realized how dumb this whole thing was. My reasoning all along of not breaking up with Niall was because I didn’t want to hurt him; I thought we would be able to keep this a secret and he wouldn’t find out. But it’s taken me this long to notice that I was going to hurt him either way, and I might not ever get to earn his friendship back.

Niall’s angry blue eyes darted between us, but we didn’t say anything. We couldn’t say anything.

“YOU REALLY HAVE NOTHING TO SAY FOR YOURSELVES?!” Niall clenched his fist tightly and stood taller, making him look more scary and masculine than usual. I could feel Harry tense up by me, and I knew that he was trying not to act like he was scared, even though we were both afraid.

“Please, Niall. If you could just listen to us for one second…” Harry pleaded, keeping his voice calm and controlled. I could tell Niall was still furious as ever, and I could almost see all the insults he was directing toward Harry and me stirring in his mind. But this time when he spoke I could still hear the threat in his voice, except for the fact that he was no longer yelling at the top of his lungs.

“How long has this been going on?” Niall asked, ignoring Harry’s pleading. On the outside Niall was a grown man who was ready to go out into the world and do amazing things, but on the inside he was still that timid Irish boy who was afraid of getting his heart broken.

Harry and I looked at each other, the same guilty look on our faces as I bit my lip, not wanting to tell him the truth but knowing he deserved it. I couldn’t live with keeping another lie from him, or anyone for that matter.

“Since around Christmas…maybe the day after…” I said just above a whisper, putting my head down so I didn’t have to see Niall’s reaction. Averting my gaze, I watched as tears jumped off my skin and fell onto the carpet, staining it with tiny puddles.