Chapter 9

(A/N: Just wanted to clear up that Jesse DOES NOT know that Harry likes her, it just crossed her mind at the end of Chapter 6 but she didn’t actually consider it. Anyway, hope you enjoy this chappy! xx)

(FLASHBACK)

HARRY’S POV

I sat upstairs in my room, sprawled out on my bed as I read Veronica Roth’s ‘Divergent’. Most people wouldn’t spend their time reading a book the day before Christmas Eve, but I honestly had nothing better to do.

The sound of a car making its way down the main road caught my attention, I looked out my window and noticed that it was Niall’s; it didn’t have to take much thinking to know where it came from. I sighed, picking up my bookmark and placing where I had left off before shutting the book. Suddenly too sad to read.

I pushed myself off my bed, almost not noticing the small familiar picture on the floor next to my feet. I looked at it peculiarly; I could’ve sworn that I put it in my bedside drawer. Bending down, I picked it up between my thumb and forefinger, observing it closely.

It was the same picture I had always kept; I had my arm around Jesse smiling, while she got on her tiptoes and kissed my cheek. The backdrop was her backyard two summers ago, we had invited all the boys over to Jesse’s house to have a big barbecue since it was the first week we had off of school. I had kept this picture to be reminded of the good times when everyone was happy and there wasn’t a problem that could ever get in the way.

But two weeks later, a problem did get in the way. A problem that would leave Jesse without a mother.

I brushed my thumb over the picture, almost wanting to go back to that very day. Where there was only happiness and no sorrow. I had looked at the picture over a million times, but this time there was a different energy that emitted from it. I felt a sense of urgency in my stomach, like I was supposed to be somewhere instead of just standing in my room. But where was I supposed to go?

The longer I waited, the more anxious I got. And it was driving me crazy that I had no idea why I was feeling like this.

Maybe I had forgotten a birthday or was supposed to run some errands? No, Louis’s birthday was tomorrow and I had already done all my Christmas shopping for the week. After a moments thinking, I decided that it was worthless to keep thinking about something I would never figure out.

I plopped back down on my bed, instead pulling out my phone and opening up Twitter. I scrolled aimlessly through my newsfeed for quite some time. Reading a bunch of celebrity’s tweets and seeing how all their fans reacted, telling them how much they loved them and being nothing but nice. I always wondered what it would feel like if I had thousands of fans reacting that way toward me, maybe even millions.

In the midst of my scrolling, I casually looked at my bedside table where my clock sat. 5:36. For some reason, I got the same feeling I had when I picked up the picture. I felt a presence around me, but when I turned around, no one was there. I let out a loud sigh and ruffled my hair, sweeping it to the side. I felt strange and it was bothering me like a bug bite.

My eyes suddenly locked on Jesse’s house down the street, but the way they moved seemed…forced. Like someone was doing it for me. Before I could process what was going on, my legs pushed myself up off my bed and I was throwing on my shoes and a sweatshirt. My fingers fumbled for my phone as I shoved it in my pocket, I stepped out of the doorway before peering back in my room.

Walking over to my bed, I picked up the picture of Jesse and me and gently put it in my other pocket. I took no time to run down the stairs and out the door into the winter cold, shouting random words at my mum so she would know where I was going. Even though I had no idea what I was doing or why I needed to do it, I had determination coursing through my veins and blood pumping through my body so quickly; I felt it under my skin.