25 - night terrors

Keira

Crimson blood dripped down my forearm as I twisted the knife in his chest. A strangled gurgle escaped his throat as he stared down at me in shock. I know he saw nothing but violent hatred reflected in mine. I yanked the knife out of his chest cavity and loosened my hold on the black handle now saturated in thick blood. 

The 10 inch blade clattered to the tile floor at the same time as his body did. I stood frozen over him as he struggled to suck precious air into his failing lungs. 

"I love you, Keira." he whispered with one final blood splattered gurgle. 

The life bled from his eyes seconds later and I fell to my knees as uncontrollable guilt infiltrated my adrenaline high. The second the realization of what I'd done set in, I scrambled across the bloodied floor and grasped his limp shoulders, I tried to shake the life back into him, getting more desperate by the second.

His final words echoed in my mind over and over, tormenting my guilty conscience. A frantic voice broke through the echos. 

"What have I done....What have I done......What have I done!!" The panicked voice rose in octaves and intensity and eventually I realized the voice was my own. 

"Keira!" Another voice boomed through my hysteria. My eyes flew to his face but the voice wasn't him, no one was going to save me from this. 

"What have I done...please! What have I done.." I sobbed hysterically. "WHAT HAVE I DONE!"

"Wake up Keira!" My whole body shook. "Baby, please!"

My eyes snapped open to Tommy kneeling over me in bed. His inked hands were grasping my shoulders and something resembling deep concern reflected in his golden, honey eyes. At some point throughout the night his shirt had come off. His bare muscles flexed over me as he released my shoulders, dropped down to his forearms, and buried his face in my damp neck. 

"Thank god, Keira you were starting to scare me." his sleep infused raspy voice mumbled in relief. 

"I thought nothing scared you..." My whisper was hoarse. 

"I thought so too." He said softly, breathing heavy against my neck in an effort to calm down. What was he all in a twist about?

"What's wrong..." I asked gently, afraid to spook him. "Are you okay?"

He rose from my neck slowly, meeting my sleepy eyes with confusion. "What?"

I stared at him for a moment, unsure how to approach this situation. He looked just as confused as I was, which obviously intensified my original confusion, which then doubled his. It was like a domino effect that never ended. 

"What's going on?" 

His eyes widened a fraction. "You don't remember?" 

"Remember what?" He mirrored me as I shifted into a sitting position, I flicked through my memories in search of a clue. "Are you pranking me or something? I remember falling asleep and all of the sudden you were yelling at me..." I crossed my arms over my chest, getting slightly irritated. 

"What in the fucking twilight zone—" he muttered nearly unintelligibly to himself as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes before facing me. "I think you were having a nightmare, but it was so intense. I don't know why you don't remember..." He eyed me as if he could read my mind if he tried hard enough.

I only half processed his words as his raspy morning voice enchanted me, I wanted him to keep talking. My focus fell on his puffy eyes he was continually rubbing and I fought a smile. Somehow in the timespan of less than 24 hours I had gone from fearing this fucked up man to smiling at his cute morning state. Twilight zone was right.