23 - little dark one

Keira

My heart was beating double time in my chest, too many emotions fighting to overtake me. Tommy was avoiding my gaze, which immediately tipped me off that he was hiding something. 

"What aren't you telling me?" My voice came out shakier than I'd intended, but seeing the crimson blood drip down his muscular, inked arm confronted me with the very real risks he faced in his life. The thought of him getting hurt scared me, and realizing I even cared was even more terrifying.

"I need to go." He deflected, stepping back from me again. 

"Tommy. Please, I need to know." I begged, trying to meet his eyes but he was expertly avoiding me. I could feel him tense up again and close off, masking his face with that emotionless expression he rarely shed. 

"Not tonight." His voice was sharp and final and I craved the unfiltered version of him he shared with me just minutes ago, before his control stepped back in. 

In an effort to bring us back to the warmth we just shared, I decided to cease fire. For now. "Okay. Not tonight." I promised gently. 

His cool eyes finally locked back on me, surprise flashing briefly over his features. He clearly didn't expect me to give up so easy, I gave him a small smile and reached for his hand, squeezing gently to show good faith. I enjoyed keeping him on his toes. A man like Tommy Knox needed an ally not an interrogation, he would never break that way. 

"We need to change your bandage. Do you have a first aid kit or something?" It felt kind of funny to ask a notorious gang leader if he had a first aid kit. These guys probably just cleaned their wounds with vodka and bandaged them with ripped pieces of their shirts. 

"Leave it. I'll be fine." His tone was final, but I wasn't ceasing this fire, it went against my nature and that was something I wasn't willing to sacrifice. 

I hopped off the table and yanked my dress back down. His eyes followed me warily. I forced his hand into mine and lead him towards the door.

"What are you doing?" He grunted.

"Taking you to the clinic." Tommy shook his head about to protest but I cut him off before he could even try. "I don't care what you say about being fine, I won't listen." 

He spun me around as we reached the door and pushed me against it, trapping me with both palms against the wood. He leaned down into my ear sending shivers up my spine. "I can make you listen." He growled through clenched teeth, clearly frustrated in more ways than one. 

I slammed my hands against his chest and pushed him back before I got too turned on again. "Would you just shut up and let me take care of you?" I snapped, if he wanted to fight fire with fire I could go up in flames. "You wanted to claim me as your girl, but guess what? That means I get to claim you right back. And I take care of what's mine."

I hid my smirk as he stared at me completely out of his element. Who would have thought I could render the king of the Revenants silent. He opened his mouth to say something but decided against it. His jaw ticked as he clenched it shut again. He gave me a sharp nod of acceptance and avoided my gaze. He was so uncomfortable with the idea of this whole thing, and I was enjoying every second of it. He has no idea what he got himself into. 

I turned my back to him and pulled the door open to a dimly lit hallway. 

"Show me the way." I demanded gently. 

Tommy slid his hand up my back, under my hair and around the back of my neck. He clutched gently and guided me down the hall. He kept his hand there and used his thumb to rub small circles into my skin soothingly. I had a feeling he was soothing himself more than me. In just a few minutes everything between us changed and we were both reeling in the aftermath, unsure where to go from here.