49 - playing god

Keira

I was sitting up in bed, braiding my damp hair when the bedroom door flew open and slammed against the wall.

My eyes met Tommy's fury infused molten irises and a chill immediately ran down my spine. Whatever had gone down between him and his men only made things worse.

I tensed as he stalked into the room, his eyes wild like the night he ambushed me in the closet. He stood at the end of the bed and turned his back to me, his inked fingers running through his hair while the other hand hung at his side, clenched in a white knuckled fist.

"Tommy, what's wrong?" I whispered cautiously, afraid of the answer.

He exhaled sharply and turned to face me, wrapping his arms over his chest, causing his muscles to bulge.

"Why didn't you tell me about Viper?" He bit out through a clenched jaw.

I cocked my head in confusion, wracking my memories in an attempt to land on the one he was referring to. "What about him?"

He took a quick step closer to the bed. "The night of the invasion, he threatened you in the fucking hallway, Keira!" He boomed, unable to contain his emotions any longer.

My eyes bulged and I held my breath as his molten eyes pierced through me intensely.

I had no explanation, the invasion felt like years ago...In complete honesty, I had forgotten about that interaction completely.

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "I didn't get a chance to tell you."

"Don't give me that bullshit excuse, we were together all evening, you had plenty of chances to tell me." He snapped as the vibrations flickered through his muscles. This was him going easy on me, and the alternative kind of terrified me.

I was reminded of the night we first met next to the pool, the night he held a gun to my head for the second time.

"I didn't want to ruin the moment." I admitted in a small whisper, I figured sticking with honesty would be my best bet.

"You didn't want to ruin the moment? Are you fucking joking?" He growled, letting his anger get the best of him.

"It wasn't that big of a deal, Tommy! I knew he wouldn't really hurt me, and that you would protect me if he even tried."

"How can I protect you from someone I didn't even know was a threat!?" His shouts radiated throughout the room, sending the argument into overdrive.

"I don't know!" I screamed, throwing the blanket off my bare legs so I could jump off the bed and stalk towards him. "I trust you! I feel safe with you! I'm sorry I didn't tell you about Viper, but he threatened me and I figured I'd be safer if I just listened."

Tommy was physically vibrating as he tried to contain the fire within him. He paced at the end of the bed and ran his hands through his hair repeatedly. I stood at the end of the bed in nothing but an oversized long sleeve t-shirt.

"He could have fucking killed you, Keira!" He turned with frantic eyes and took three long strides towards me, grasping my shoulders in his large hands. "I wouldn't have seen it coming."

"But he didn't, and he won't." I promised as I reached a palm up to cradle his cheek. He pulled away before I could make contact.

"You're right, he won't. Viper is going to die for this." His tone was cold, and final.

"No, please don't do this Tommy." I begged.

"I have to." He said, emotionless.

He stood just out of reach with his arms crossed over his chest again, I tried not to let it distract me since it was my turn to stomp up to him. I was done letting his anger stand between us.