53 - plans & charms

Tommy

The joy I only found myself feeling when I was with Keira, disappeared as soon as we began descending the steps down to the pit.

I smirked to myself as her legs wobbled, each little shake catapulted my ego to new unexplored heights. My arm snaked around her waist to steady her as we reached the bottom floor, just the simple touch eased some of the tension building within me.

"I forgot to stop in the med room to get some supplies." She groaned, glancing back up the endless stairs.

"There's a first aid kit over there." She picked up the oversized red first aid kit while I punched in the code.

"You left them in here bleeding out overnight, with a first aid kit right on the other side of the door?" She hissed with a small shove.

I shrugged unapologetically, avoiding her molten gaze. I could feel the fury radiating off of her and for once I actually felt a little fear. I feared that I would open this door and the damage I had done would scare her away.

Keira gasped when I pushed the heavy door open. The four potential rats sat against opposite walls, their clothes were torn and refashioned into makeshift bandages for their various bullet wounds. Viper lay shivering on the floor stained with his blood. He was the most critical and for some fucked up reason, that satisfied me.

Keira rushed to his side like the selfless saint she was, rushing to dig through the contents of the med kit.

The guys looked like shit, they were covered in blood and completely exhausted, but that was the price of the pit. They barely lifted their heads as we came in. Only Blaze met my eyes, the bravest of the bunch.

They were shocked to see Keira coming to their rescue, it went against everything the pit stood for. This was a place to break people, not fix them.

"So, any confessions?" I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall by the door, watching over Keira diligently. I wouldn't put anything past these motherfuckers, no matter how disabled they may be.

I was met with silence. Everyone but Keira–who was enthralled in her work–made eye contact, waiting for someone to fess up but no confession was spoken.

"You can go, Tommy." Keira's voice was so arctic and foreign, I blanched. Thankfully, her back was to me.

All four heads snapped up in unison, eyes wide with shock. I schooled my face into a cold indifference before they noticed. It was rare anyone dared speak to me that way, I was feared and respected regardless of my sadistic actions.

I opened my mouth to retaliate, venomous words begging to lash out, but shut my mouth before I said something I would regret.

I lost control the night of the invasion and said something I didn't mean. To this day the guilt of that fight eats away at me, those words I let slip. I wouldn't do more damage. I couldn't. I refused to be the kind of man who would treat a woman like that. My woman.

"I'm not leaving you in here alone with them," I growled with white knuckles. It took every ounce of self control I had not to lash out like I was trained to.

She finally turned to face me with a cold look in her eyes. "I'll be fine. Wait outside." She ordered, completely immune to my death stare.

She was so angry, an emotion I had not yet seen on her, not like this. She turned her back to me again and resumed tending to their wounds, now moving on to Thor. She had the nerve to dismiss me? Fucking unbelievable.

I snarled and stalked out of the room, leaving the door open in case she needed to make a quick escape. I pulled my gun out of my waistband and sat on the stairs, guarding the only exit.