64 - afterlife

Keira

I sat on the floor of the marble shower and watched as onyx dye tainted the water running over my multicolored bruises.

The endless supply of alcohol kept me numb to the heartbreak and physical pain but I knew it wouldn't last forever. One day the alcohol would run out, or my tolerance would strengthen and I would have to allow the floodgates of emotion to burst open once more.

Days began to feel like months, and each waking hour was harder than the last. I was naive to believe it would ever get easier.

The only way I'd been able to avoid Alejandro's sensual touch was to antagonize him to the point of violence.

I knew from experience, his fury always wiped away his lust. Alejandro wouldn't touch me if I was less than perfect, so I paid the price with clenched teeth and choked screams. Night after night.

I stepped out of the shower and smiled humorlessly at the reflection staring back at me. At the girl I had worked so hard to leave behind. The dark-haired girl with violent marks and no light left in her eyes.

Maybe this was me, the real me. All this time I was running from her, believing she could be my past when in reality, she is my present and future.

The rebel thoughts of Tommy that broke through my defenses felt like sharp blades assaulting my chest over and over.

I wrapped a towel around my thinning body just as Alejandro waltzed in.

"Mi Amor, you're beginning to look like you again." He ran his tainted fingers through my dark, damp hair with a triumphant smile.

His smile faltered when his fingers reached my shoulder where one of the larger bruises was darkening by the minute.

"You need to stop provoking me, Keira. You're not taking care of yourself and you know how angry that makes me." His tone was soft and matter of fact, but the words themselves were infuriating.

"Me breathing the wrong way provokes you," I snapped, stepping back from his touch when I felt a shiver of disgust coming on.

Disgust was an emotion, which meant my buzz was wearing off. Can't have that.

I dropped the towel as I left the bathroom and crossed to the bar cart naked. Hopefully, my less-than-perfect appearance would repel him enough to leave me alone.

Alejandro followed me into the bedroom and draped a silk robe around me as I poured myself a double shot of dark liquor. It burned through my throat and chest as it slithered down, but the usual numb feeling that usually accompanied it was weaker than before.

"That's enough." Alejandro's hand snapped out and clasped my wrist as I began to pour a second glass.

"It will never be enough," I replied. The shiver of disgust wracked my body in full this time.

"I thought I was doing you a kindness, allowing you access to your favorite wines, but I see I was mistaken. Your drinking habit is out of control."

The first spark of real fear I've felt in days lit me up like a Christmas tree. I spun to face him.

"No. You can't take it away." I realized my mistake as the words left my lips.

His eyes hardened and he clenched his jaw. "I can. And I will. I've come to the conclusion that the excessive alcohol addiction is to blame for your antagonistic behavior."

I couldn't lose my only crutch. It was the only barrier from the heartbreak and pain, the only thing keeping me numb enough to survive. I knew without a shadow of a doubt, I would not survive another day if those floodgates opened.