58 - shattered

Keira

My eyes fluttered open and I subconsciously reached over to Tommy, only to find the bed empty and the sheets cold. I sat up slowly, rubbing the lingering drowsiness from my eyes as I listened for the shower, hearing nothing but eery silence. 

A terrible feeling settled in the pit of my stomach and I padded into the bathroom and closet, finding both rooms as lifeless as the bedroom. 

"Where the hell is he?" I muttered to myself, a common occurrence in my world. People who talked to themselves were usually labeled as crazy, I never really understood why. I found myself talking out loud to no one in particular quite often. To be fair, it could be argued that I was somewhat crazy based on my obviously questionable life choices.

I freshened up and got dressed before I decided to search the rest of the foreign house, using the time to give myself a tour.

"Tommy?" I called out his name as I ventured through a home office, living room, dining room, gym, and finally sighed appreciatively when I ended my self-guided tour in the massive chef's kitchen. 

I figured there were corners of the house it was better I didn't see without Tommy, or at all. God knows what kind of skeletons a mafia man has hiding in his closets. And if he was hiding with them for some reason, he obviously did not wish to be found. 

I took a deep breath to calm my erratic nerves and decided to make us some breakfast. He was probably fine, he would show up soon. If something bad happened, I'd know. Right? Tommy is practically indestructible.

I sang Sunday Morning by Maroon 5 under my breath as I twirled around the kitchen making scrambled eggs and french toast. I imagined Tommy was here with me, singing along as he wrapped his arms around me from behind. I cherished those innocent moments between us, when he wasn't a mafia boss and I wasn't his to protect, we were just Tommy and Keira.

I winced as the ache between my legs intensified the more I moved, I shook my head to erase the flashing memories of last night, of Tommy making good on his promise. I was secretly glad he wasn't actually there to see me struggling to walk just like he'd planned. I had no regrets, and I would do it again, there was worse pain to have. 

I sat at the luxurious marble island and sipped my coffee as the plates of breakfast got cold. I tried taking a few bites but the longer the deafening silence rang around me, the faster my appetite disappeared. I glanced over my shoulder for the fifteenth time since I sat down ten minutes ago, the disappointment felt like stones in my stomach, weighing me down more and more.

A rogue tear slipped down my cheek and I wiped it away roughly. "Pathetic," I mumbled to myself.

My intuition was screaming, begging me to realize something was wrong. I shoved my plate away and left the kitchen without looking back.

"Tommy?" I called out again. I was met with even more silence than the first time if that was even possible. 

I was about to give up and go back to bed when I saw a figure across the lawn, out by the pool. Of course, he would be at the pool, I pressed my palm to my forehead. I should have thought of it sooner. 

I crossed the lawn barefoot, the uncomfortable weight in my stomach easing the closer I got to him. He stood with his back to me, frozen in place staring out at the surrounding mountains. 

"Tommy?" I murmured as I approached slowly, something felt off about the whole situation. 

I paused, waiting for an answer, or any kind of acknowledgment, but nothing came. Either he didn't hear me, or he was ignoring me. And neither option made sense.